Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SWITCHES

Seems like lots of lighting switches fitted to classic bike are the 3 position U39, but what is the lucas number for the 4 position wartime type as fitted to the M20 I'm currently fighting with.

Any info apreciated

BD

email (option): bd10after@aol.com

Re: SWITCHES

The Lucas part number was 351551

VAOS-6

Thanks Rik but there still seems to be a problem, ie if I do a Google search on 351551 the only ref that comes up is to Hitchcocks but it is for the 3 position switch. It seems that in all of the sites I have looked at so far there is never a mention of the 4 position type.

Thanks BD

Most of the switches on sale by dealers will be replicas. To my knowledge the WD 4 position switches have never been replicated. I doubt that any secondhand switches for sale will quote a part number. So your search should be for a "Lucas WD 4 position light switch"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks RP and your comments make more sense than any other comments I've come across. However when I've tried what you have suggested searching for on the internet all I get is references to the standard 3 position switch.
However again I can't help but think there must have been a specific number in a manual, perhaps a WD type manual or Lucas that gives a specific number for the 4 position switch.

Thanks

BD

Actually the number in Rik's VAOS list is for the standard "civy" type 3 position switch. I believe the 4 position switch came in a little later than that list. The number for the 4 position switch is MT3/LU/351590.

I still don't think the part number will help one iota in finding a switch though.

I suggest a shout in sales/wants section for a WD switch. Ron

PS. I doubt that the switch would appear in any sales catalogue as it was purely for military use. Ron

There appears to be one on the Cornucopia site, unless I am mistaken.

http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/lucas-s.html

Yep, good old Peter Long! Ron

lucas-switch-042

Thanks for the info.

BD

Although not directly related to this thread it's worth noting that the replica switches are not in fact replicas, being made to suit Indian manufactured Royal Enfields...The operating cam form is different and thus the switch operation is different...If connected to a standard Lucas wiring set up they won't operate as intended...The cam can be removed and filed to a suitable profile to put it right though...Easy identifier for the 'replica' is that they are not marked LUCAS....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1