Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol tap sizing

Hi,

i have a WD M20 1940 and have two different petrol taps i have found a place (thanks John) that has the ones i want but has given me a plethora of choices, aimed to just confuse me.
could someone guide on what would be the best option for me please?

cheers Chris

a) ordinary type G 1/8“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet
b) ordinary type G 1/4“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet
c) ordinary type G 3/8“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet
d) with filter on G 1/8“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet
e) with filter on G 1/4“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet
f) with filter on G 3/8“ inlet , G 1/4“ outlet

email (option): cdpeach@hotmail.com

Re: Petrol tap sizing

Chris, first off, always best to have the filters.

Originally the M20's were fitted with 1/8 BSP x 1/8 BSP taps. But because the 1/4 x 1/4 taps became more readily available, the boss in the tank was either changed or drilled and tapped to 1/4BSP and the pipe fittings were also changed from 1/8 to 1/4..... 3/8 BSP is not usually in the equation for an M20.

The question is, what size threads have you got in the tank and fuel pipe?

For checking... 1/8 BSP threads = 3/8" actual outside diameter, 1/4 BSP = 1/2", 3/8 BSP = 5/8"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I know little about M20s...probably best to keep it that way too...but the thread relating to fuel tank bosses is referring to 3/8" BSP fittings on the deLuxe tank. Is there an error or a reduction somewhere ?

You are right about that Rik. The adapter/filter #11 screwed into the tank boss is 3/8 BSP. That fitting was drilled and tapped to take an 1/8 BSP tap but later on was often changed to take a 1/4 BSP tap.

I just thought that the sizes mentioned were for the tap only?

Ron
ScanL

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, I said that I knew nothing. I've always been used to 1/4" BSP at both ends...always found it odd that BSAs had 1/8" taps as I imagined a tiny tank thread...I now understand that there is a reduction with filter. The filters on the 1/4" taps are a nuisance as with the slightest distortion, they catch on the threads and twist.

My M20 came at 'demob' with 3/8-1/4 BSP tank adapters and taps that were 1/4 x 1/4 BSP at both ends....So at some point REME were making the change...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks All, the thread is definitely different at both ends, I will try measure the thread and see how its drilled.
thanks
chris

email (option): cdpeach@hotmail.com

BSP(P) thread dimensions are as follows...1/8" BSP: O.D 0.383"...Threads per inch : 28. 1/4" BSP: O.D 0.518"...TPI 19. 3/8" BSP: O.D 0.656"...TPI 19...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1