Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
66-4636

Another trinket for you all.

I ran a few of these off between real work.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Re: 66-4636

Is that Stainless?

The spares list for contract C6654 says they were supplied in Khaki Green (No.3 Gas Proof) but I'm not a fan of painted bolt heads, you can't do them up without chipping it off.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

No Rob, I wouldn't dream of violating a classic bike with Stainless Steel unless there was a very good reason for it.

This is the sort of finish we give most steels before being plated. I've been trying to get Zinc and Black done for a few years now, but it's always patchy. Maybe calling it a "distressed look" might pass?

I guess the simple solution would be to paint your nuts after fitting. You could even ask a friend to help! :wink:

I never knew there were lists itemising every part.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

For fasteners that should be plated, Tin plating is a good substitute for the Cadmium plating originally used. It benefits from the copper coat applied before the tin so is both more durable and visually closer than Zinc...It's a similar dull finish to the Cadmium...

I use it where it's not viable to reproduce the part in stainless steel...In most cases though I 'violate' my bikes whenever I can...:laughing:

Stainless Steel is certainly not universally popular even though a lot of it was used on Vincents as standard and that bike is generally well regarded...It would certainly never satisfy a purist, but I imagine anything other than an original cadmium finish would be the same so what's the difference?
It is the most practical and durable finish by a country mile if a lot of riding in all conditions is envisaged...You just do it the once and you don't have the numerous hassles produced by dealing with platers..You can even reuse the fasteners the next time the bike is rebuilt!...Don't believe scare stories around galvanic reaction either, excessive corrosion has never been an issue on any of my bikes....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1