Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 kick start seizure.

After a period of inactivity I came to start my trusty WM20 and the kick start was stiff in movement slowly grinding to a halt, seized in the down position. I pulled it apart to find the kick start quadrant seized in its bush. A 3 leg puller extracted the bush from the shaft. It was bone dry, rusty. It's all cleaned up fine and is going back together but should there be an oiled felt seal on the shaft on the outside of the case to stop future water/dirt ingress. Can find no reference to one in the parts book I have. I use the bike all year round so It's familiar with a good soaking.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Stuart Gibbins

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Re: WM20 kick start seizure.

That's an unusual problem, particularly on a bike that's getting some use...I've never had the problem myself in 50 years of running multiple examples of these singles...Mine have seen use in winter and summer in all weathers and conditions, off road, on Normandy beaches with their salty water etc. etc...
Generally when I assemble the box I apply a generous coating of graphite grease to the bush and quadrant shaft....Nothing in the way of a seal is fitted as standard so a modification would be required to fit one...Below is an old photo of my M20 on a local tidal (so salty) track just to illustrate what it's had to put up with!!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I'll go the graphite grease route.
When I say regular use, it has sat in the garage for probably 6 months and may have been put away wet! I obviously didn't grease it up well enough when it was apart for a kick start spring a couple of years ago.

Stuart

I've already made the solution, how quickly people forget. :wink:

These bushes have been machine to take an O-ring to keep the dirt out and lubricant in.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=24-4258&ptno=24-4258

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Useful to keep the oil in for sure..There isn't a problem in the other direction but I guess there's a 'belt and braces' benefit from the O ring fitment...If there was a problem with ingress of anything I'd have had it by now...I've done over 200,000 miles on just two of the many BSA singles I've owned...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This would absolutely never happen on a Norton gearbox ! Oil comes out everywhere, as was intended. Presumably at some point in the 1950s, society began to worry about a few drops of oil.

I did see the bushes on your website while I was looking at side stand parts Mark but didn't notice the o ring feature.

Stuart

I’m guessing Stuart your experience is why I’ve seen so many outer covers with worn bush housings. Hence the oversizes.
I don’t expect every owner will give their bikes the love and attention yours do Ian.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Very nice picture, Ian.
Luckely there is a filter on the tank (!)

Nieuwe pagina 1