Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting photo of WD BSA V-Twin with census number

Hi folks
Came across this old photo album from a soldier’s memoir of his time in North Africa, there were a lot of photos of him on his bike which he was clearly fond of in different locations, Cairo, the Sphinx, Suez Canal etc.
Anyway the bike is quite interesting.
It’s a BSA V-twin, possibly a Y13 or J35? It has a tank census number and WD marking on front mudguard number plate. Wasn’t aware that BSA made a V-twin for the military? Or was this likely a civilian bike drafted into the military?
Here’s the photos. Thought members would find it interesting.
F3-B35723-D49-B-4-CC4-94-A1-934336-A29-BE6
BD77-FE18-D3-F8-4112-9239-B3-B871374-AAF

email (option): nljb345@hotmail.com

Re: Interesting photo of WD BSA V-Twin with census number

Is that a 1932 500cc? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The 500 twin was supplied to the military as pre war procurement thinking favoured multi cylinder bikes for a while...There were lots of problems with early examples, even to the extent that BSA recommended a specific oil type....Nice pictures..It's a good job the twins weren't too fast as the effects of wind blast under the tropical helmet might have been dangerous not to mention insects up your 'Bombay bloomers'..:relaxed: Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It is a J34-11 500

I have the Instruction Book for the BSA 'WD' Twin given to me many years ago by Gordon Jeal. The illustration in the Instruction Book matches that of the photo even down to the bulb horn - the rear carrier and high level toolbox. Engine and gearbox oil are noted as being the same M265 with a requirement to drain and refill every 2,000 miles. The illustration shows that there was no speedometer so unsure how you were to know when 2,000 miles had been covered. The front wheel brake plate has the facility for the speedo drive gearbox but appears to have been blanked off.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Speedo toolboxes headlights pillion saddle and pegs were options in 34.
Civilian models have an instrument panel in the tank.

The official name was War Office Twin. The engine and frame numbers for 1934 started with B15, that is why is has been called a J34-15 as well. The 1934 model had open valves as opposed to the later models that hat enclosed inlet valves. The forks, headlamp and quite a few other bits are typical for the 1933-34 WO Twin. Later models have forks that resemble M20 forks although they are narrower. There are works drawings on the internet for the engine. As Darren said the petrol tank did not have an instrument panel and no electric horn was fitted. The army also tried a lightened version but without success. The WO Twin was found to be barely adequate although it was produced from 1933 -1937. The last batch made in 1937 (when the civilian model was already unavailable) was produced for the Air Ministry. Most of the WO Twins went to Egypt and a small number went with the BEF to France.

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

I’d like one of them
I could easily tolerate adequate performance

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Again, beautifull pictures.
These bikes are indeed very rare and I'm no expert on this one.
But I do know there also is also an E15 and does anyone know if there is any difference from a B15 ?

Michel,

I wrote this in my remarks above. The War Office twin was made from 1933 up to and including 1937, pre fixed A15, B15, E15, D15 and H15. The 1933-1934 models are very different from the later models.

Kind regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

Michel the B and E letter prefix is just the year of manufacture. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1