Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TLC required...

I spent another day today getting more of the parts ready for my latest project...It never ceases to amaze me how much welding, drilling, tapping, helicoiling, filing, rubbing down, deburring, parts washing, machining, bead blasting and refinishing etc. is needed to eliminate all the accumulated damage that's been inflicted on the various parts over the years, in an effort to return them to something like the original specification.....
Can unrestored barn find machines that have never had this attention really be fully serviceable?..and if they are, for how many miles?....
I certainly wouldn't fit some of the parts I've restored in the 'as found' condition they arrived in as I don't think they would perform at all well...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: TLC required...

My feeling is that the answer to that question is 'No'.

Of the bikes / Owners that I trust to travel with, expecting them to start and run properly day after day, all have been properly rebuilt.

And people wonder why it is so expense to return a casting or engine to a condition where it's not only safe to use, but will have a long service life.
I opened up my M20 gearbox last week. Supplied as a usable box! Well only just it seems and there is very little that won't need replacing or reworking.

I guess it's just part of the fun. Just throw money at it, it's not like you can take it with you.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

yes have one the same,this machine was run until it stoped ,gearbox Shraft has big movement,poor old machine was found on a tip upside down,in safe hands now

email (option): tangle.43@bigpond.com

['Just throw money at it, it's not like you can take it with you...' ]

There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard..:skull_and_crossbones: ...I plan to spend it all....:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

What usually seems to happen is that the shed falls down, the bikes become worthless and the poor old sod ekes out his remaining years in poverty. There is a balance to be found... but I don't think it's always easy.

Nieuwe pagina 1