Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 1943 Front Wheel Hub gear

I have a 7" front brake hub with steel brake plate, and girder forks. What is the purpose of the hub gear wheel? See photos below

IMG-1658

IMG-1677

IMG-1679

email (option): shaneambrose@hotmail.com

Re: WM20 1943 Front Wheel Hub gear

Shane that is the gear for the pre 1940 angled speedo drive. Your brake plate is for the later type speedo drive that was driven on the left side of the hub. Has your hub got the drive dog notches on the left side? Probably not! Here is my 1939 C10 with that early type drive and the later hub and speedo drives. Ron

DSCF0923
C10-315
DSCF1509

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Shane
It’s a speedo drive gear
Normally these were found on earlier wheels fitted to k series models - 1939 season
The outer brake place is from later W models. 1940 onwards which is what makes the set up you have an oddity - the drive gear looks meaningless
It needs the earlier brake plate which has an aperture which has the speedo gearbox mounting fittings on it
Nice find & a scarce wheel to have

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for the replies Ron and John.

Ron - there are no drive dog notches on the hub left side. That explains why there is no speedo fitted to my bike. I guess that is going to make it difficult to getting a working speedo also??

IMG-1676

IMG-1670

IMG-1681

Shane as the wheel is wrong for your 43 bike, I would advertise for a swap amongst the community. There are probably guys out there with early bikes who need your hub/wheel.

Even the left side speedo drives are hard to find. I do have a spare one coming with some other parts I've bought overseas. But maybe someone can offer you a fair swap including the drive box.

I'd go straight to the for sale page if I were you.

Also if you have the correct forks? The left side leg is slayed out to accommodate the external speedo drive, Which would mean that it has probably been wrenched in with the spindle nuts to use that wheel?? Some investigating and correction might be in order. Ron

Scan-140318-0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You can screw the speedo drive sleeve from a scrap hub to your early hub, or get the sleeve manufactured from scratch. It's not a complicated piece....The hole centers are the same....The gear can remain in place and you already have the correct brakeplate...All you'll need then is the drive unit...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The front wheel is off a 32-38 Blue Star And W/R and Empire Star 500. Silver Star has a provision for either type of Speedo.
The correct speedo gearbox is highly desirable and very hard to find.

Shane
Thanks for the replies Ron and John.

Ron - there are no drive dog notches on the hub left side. That explains why there is no speedo fitted to my bike. I guess that is going to make it difficult to getting a working speedo also??

Hi Shane,

I have a correct complete BSA WM20 front wheel here. I would like to swap it for your front wheel. Where are you located?

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Hi Bastiaan
I’m interested in a swap, but I’m in Australia. Email me at
Shaneambrose@hotmail.com and we can chat further.

Cheers Shane

email (option): Shaneambrose@hotmail.com

Shane,
If Bastiaan can’t help, I have the hub that you are looking for and I’m in Melbourne.

Darren I've sent you an email about your hub

Nieuwe pagina 1