Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rare BSA M20 frame on ebay.

Its an odd one, the frame number doesn't seem to have the serifs you would expect.

However WM20 4248 was delivered to the Ministry of Supply on 9/3/41 with engine WM20 505, quite a bit later than you would expect and it does remind me of my GPO frame also delivered through the MOS in 1942 which also had an early sounding frame number and the two piece saddle/tank lugs.

So I'm not completely sure?

Rob

DSCN1276

Dscf8244

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

This frame seems odd in that it has black paint that looks like it's been on there for a long time, if someone stamped a fake number on fairly recently and tried to fake a WM20 surely there would be green paint not the scruffy state it in now, the welded on extra bracket also would surely have been taken off if they were rebuilding an army type bike, it seems by the photos that this frame has been out of use for many years, could it be the original number???

Not always framenumbers are being changed to build a WD M20, sometimes people have f.e. already old papers laying around and find it cheaper to change a framenumber to match it with the papers. The frame is indeed in a scruffy state, but why is the exact location of the framenumber painted in a more recent yellow?

I have had this frame in my hands last weekend, took all the time to inspect it closely I came to the conclusion that this is very likely a later post war frame with a 'WM' frame number. It is well possible that this is a replacement frame, with a later added number, like Rick mentioned.

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

I concurr with Bastians assessment...I also examined this frame closely for a friend who was interested in buying it...We ended up walking away...Irrespective of whether it was 'right' or not (and I thought it wasn't) it would never fit in with peoples expectations of 'normal practice' so would always have its provenance questioned...From the dimensions I'd say the extra bracket was probably added for the head steady of an OHV engine that came from a swinging arm frame...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1