Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Unit markings" advice please..

What-ho chaps...time to consult the oracle..hopefully I'll be completely restoring my 1940 M20 before the years out with an eye also on going to Normandy next year!?....I'll be contacting Montys locker for tunic insignia etc but what I'd like to know is any info that can be imparted to me reference unit markings for my machine ? I'd like to do a tribute to my grandad who was a royal marine "DEMS" man ( defensively equipped merchant ships..they also used units from the royal navy and the royal artillery) throughout the war...Im sure that a bit of artistic licence would be involved with this but could anybody give me any pointers please?..alas,he went through a lot of shit during the war on convoys and even my father never knew the full story as he never talked about it!...when he was told he was eligible for the arctic star 10 or so years ago he said.." not for me thankyou,that was all over years ago"!!......anyway,I'd like to give a little nod to a truly wonderful man and an old school gentleman of the highest order!!.... any info would be gratefully recieved!? Thankyou ,Shaun

email (option): jacko1977pfc@gmail.com

Re: "Unit markings" advice please..

Hi Shaun, that may be a tricky one, possibly basic Royal Navy markings is most correct, I wonder if the Mulberry harbour Anti Aircraft units were drawn from DEMS personnel and may have had some transport?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Shaun. What about "Amphibian Support Regiment" It would present a nice colourful shield on your tank, and it would at least allow you the satisfaction of knowing that you are thinking of Granddad!! Regards Ron
Scan-20220712

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Otherwise, maybe the simple "Trident" for the Division. Ron
Scan-20220712-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A couple more posabilities, the first two may be too Royal Artillery themed, Beach groups seems to have had elements from most services represented.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob and Ron...all info most welcome and rather fascinating too!!..its incredible the amount of "devices" used over a relatively short period as formations flowed with the ebb and tide and fortunes of war!!..very illuminating thankyou....was considering the trident originally as probably a tad more generic and " get-away-able" ?..although the designs using an anchor obviously appealed to an old Pompey boy😁......as always really appreciate the time and effort put in chaps!....

email (option): jacko1977pfc@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1