Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
timing the m 20

just wondering about the m 20,the mag has been done up so going back togeather,put the piston 7 sixteenth btdc then put the mag just about to open then fit the mag cog and lock the cog,not had to much to do with the bsa system,cheers

email (option): tangle.43@bigpond.com

Re: timing the m 20

That sounds right. Make sure the handlebar lever is fully advanced.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Check out the article in the Technical Section of the forum for a detailed summary of the principles and procedures...There are a number of factors that must be taken into account...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

after dropping my timing stick down into the cylinder one too many times, I made a timimg bolt
The hole for the timimg stick is 1/4 CEI
So I ran a tap through it to make sure the thread was good all the way down
then I got some 1/4 rod and threaded it CEI
Then I got a nut, put a deep center punch in one of the faces to deform the thread a little
The nut goes on high & the rod gets inserted about 3" into the cylinder then you bring the piston up to the bolt
Put some weight on the kick starter and then back out the timing bolt very slowly
When TDC is encountered, the pedal will drop as the piston goes down.
So then the nut gets run down to toch the head.
I turn the engine back a bit then wind the nut back 6 turns + 2 flats = 7/16 theh wind the bolt in till the nut is again against the head
The piston can then be brought up SLOWLY till it hits the timing stick which is now a piston stop

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is and prevents the cranshaft moving as you tighten the pinion bolt

Trevor it wont work to stop the crank turning! It goes backwards as you tighten the pinion nut.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

+ 1 for Ron. Tightening the pinion nut turns the engine backwards.:face_with_rolling_eyes:

thanks all for the advice,great site this one,cheers dave

email (option): tangle.43@bigpond.com

Not if you keep pressure on the kick starter which is the bit I forgot to type in
Thank you for pointing that out
When you have a method you use routinly thus do automatically it is easy to forget a step .

Nieuwe pagina 1