Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Picked up a pillion seat for my 43 WM20

Fantastic thanks! Where are they located ?

email (option): wadeschields@mindspring.com

https://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

They don't show a saddle in the 'testimonials' gallery, only dual seats...IMO there's a good reason for that....I wasn't very impressed with what they did for me...That was a while back though, perhaps they have improved the vinyl texture and fit since then....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'm afraid I have to agree Ian! I've never been overly impressed with their single saddle or pillion work, even when I supplied my own Rexene lookalike vinyl. However there can't be much to get wrong with a short Acumen!

For the late Mansfield that I wanted covers for, I borrowed an original off Steve S and entrusted the job with my vinyl to a local lady who makes handbags. She also made the little leather straps and pretty well matched the buckles.

DSCF3874
DSCF3873

Is it similar vinyl as on the riders seat? Yours looks a smoother pattern

Some years ago, I spent over an hour going through hundreds of swatches at "Bournemouth Upholstery Center" looking for a match for the original Rexene. It's not perfect, but this is the best I came up with. The stuff that Leighton's have used from their stock that I've seen, is smooth vinyl. Ron
DSCF4768

DSCF4768-2
Scan-140805-0001

Below are two saddle covers from a batch of 8 that Leighton's made with my material. They are acceptable! But the fit and stitching leaves a bit to be desired. (I did send them a saddle frame to use for fitting).

The third picture is an original NOS cover, still with it's WD label attached. Ron
DSCF4678-2
DSCF4770-2
DSCF4771-2

Thanks for all of that Ron... Nothing fits like the original ... Wonder why they cant get it right...

Hi Ron
Did you ever use that roll of material I gave you at netley some time back
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Yes John, it's the Belgrade Black and what the saddle covers that Leightons made were from and also the covers that my handbag lady made. Ron

Wade Schields
Thanks for all of that Ron... Nothing fits like the original ... Wonder why they cant get it right...
The basic reason is that modern vinyl is soft and stretches whereas 'Rexine' had very little "give" Vinyl cut to the original pattern will stretch more on fitting in some places than others and give that characteristic bagginess.

Incidentally, the post-war Rexine covers (made my Brooks, I believe) always seem to lack the stitched padded area above the rear ridge, but oddly they seem more comfortable there than Terry covers. I have the impression that the texture is grainier too, but they certainly look "in-period"

KGr-Hq-J-m-IFJIC8-s3-MBSZ9-Iw-G7-60-12

T2e-C16d-k-FIe-Fq-Ur-Ni-BSZ9-V8dhw-60-12

I can say from experience that it's hard to make these seatcovers and make them look like the original one's. I have done some research on the covers before I started to make repro's and found out that not 1 type of Rexine was used by all manufacturers. Lycett, Terry, Brooks, etc. all used different types of Rexine, especially early in the war. They are all black but the structure of the rexine is different. Till so far I have found 2 types of Vinyl which are acceptable.

Below a few photos of a seatcover I have last week for an early Norton 16H saddle frame.

IMG-20220706-WA0022

IMG-20220706-WA0020

IMG-20220706-WA0021

IMG-20220706-WA0014

IMG-20220706-WA0016

IMG-20220706-WA0018

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1