Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox surgery

Hi
It seems I got away with my 3.5 gears - lost 3rd mostly - in Normandy- But after a ride out on Sunday - it was clear something needed doing - So I tore in to the box & clutch over last 2 days

Just as well that I did - as after miles of reliable riding - it was set to calf on the road at a point no so far from now

Opening the box revealed work & parts required -
It’s clear what needs doing - but my question is related to the fixed gears on the main & Layshafts
The mainshaft gear fell off & the layshaft gear is loose

Has anyone used bearing locking fluid to re-secure these to the shafts, or am I best to press fit new gears on to the shafts

I have new gears here - but getting parts these days from U.K. is fraught with difficulties & additional charges - so I’m trying to save them

Be grateful to hear your experiences with this

Br

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Gearbox surgery

The gears should be a press fit but I have 'fixed' them using retaining fit Loctite (not thread lock) if not too loose....Clean the parts thoroughly in acetone/paint thinners...Next fit the captive rotating gear to the shaft...Then apply the Loctite to the inside of the fixed gear and slide it into place...
DON'T apply the Loctite to the shaft and then slide the fixed gear on...That will push any excess Loctite into the rotating gear bush and very quickly it won't rotate....How do I know that?:grimacing: :laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian
I have looked at the main shaft gear - it slides on & off quite easily - personally I think replacement is required having looked at it now - once on - I can guage if the mainshaft splines are ok too
I don’t want to revisit this box again - so Hopefully- I can do all at this time

Layshaft gear doesn’t slip off - but is loose - so perhaps a locking agent might do that one

Considering the wear & component condition - I’m surprised it went as well as it did & for so long

Br
Jo’b

Hi Ian
Today I changed the fixed gears on both shafts - the old ones were both removeable by hand / I think I would have had problems down the line with these if I had refixed with bonding material

It’s all back together to go back into the bike tomorrow- all gears select outside less the ratchet - so if I can’t select gears with this - I know it’s external adjustment required not internal

This retaining stuff - I was quoted over €100 & a week or so to obtain - it was cheaper to put new gears in & more peace of mind !!

Br
Jo’b

I can probably sort out a bottle of 'retaining fit' for you John...I have a contact in a nearby Government run facility:anchor: ... One bottle is more or less a lifetime supply...I didn't have any further problems with the couple of gearboxes I applied this 'fix' to, so in principle it works...Ian

I’d be up for that Ian
Are you at founders day at all ?
Br
Job

I've emailed you John....Ian

Hi Ron
I normally keep loctite / bearing fix myself but retaining fluid no
I’ll have to obtain next trip to U.K.
br
Jo’b

The problem is, choosing the right Loctite product:thinking_face: There are so many to choose from.....which often seem to do the same thing. Any advice from anyone who has a clue? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm not a big fan of gluing things in place, but then I guess it's easier for me to do the job correctly.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Using Loctite isn't necessarily doing things 'incorrectly'....It's a product developed to do a job. In the case of threadlock for example, it serves to replace/augment the function of spring washers etc. and is just an alternative method for achieving a similar result...
Regarding Johns original post replacement of one or both components would restore the original fit...However, in the event of non availability of parts or a very high replacement cost and in a situation where the wear isn't excessive, Loctite can serve to produce an entirely workable result...
I have found that from practical experience of that exact situation....
In the case of bearings that are loose in their housings I am far less comfortable with its use due to the obvious problem of accurate alignment after the 'repair'. There I think the extra cost and effort of an engineered solution or component replacement would be the remedy that properly produces the specification required...
It's really a case of assessing the job realistically and using the product in applications where it is suitable...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1