Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Military BSA in Egypt.

There are two sidecar fittings still in place that may indicate it had one fitted until recently.

The number plate says E.A. for East Africa, is this definitely Egypt?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Isn't Egypt East Africa? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Well its East of Libya but in WW2 East Africa Command is listed as Kenya, Tanganyika, British Somaliland, Abyssinia and Italian Somaliland?

Rob

Just to add to the mix

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/40136-wd-number-plates-ww2-middle-east/

The front tyre looks to be a larger profile than the std 325 x 19 usually fitted
Also the bike appears to be a K series - no speedo in near side & the “cut” forks seen on many early model bikes - used with a distance piece to space the front guard

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Looking again - it’s a great photo - the electric horn is in place in the correct position for an early bike - under the saddle spring, it has tank top instruments & the front frame protector guard is missing
The lifting handle - early short type has no fixing for a field stand - this would probably been before even the short stand was implemented by the military

It’s a fine looking bike that
Jo’b

It looks like it has the spacer between the front mudguard and centre fork bracket which may indicate longer forks, perhaps its needed a replacements set?

Rob

I think John O B has shown another type of forks with that central lug shorter and without the trumpet end....John??

Ron

That’s correct ron
This cut trumpet was common in 1940 & we established the full trumpet was replaced in mid 41 - later the distance piece was reintroduced
I had thought the distance piece was a later war addition - but it’s in the 1940 military supplementary parts list - to match these blades - so it’s an early part & perhaps earlier than we thought as this is a k model
I have 2 x 1940 bikes here with cut trumpets
Job

I'd forgotten that.

Could it be a 400-18 front tyre, its a pretty clear picture could you zoom in on it Steve to see if its readable.

Rob

Hi rob
We know the raf contract had 18” wheels & looking at photos in the parts list - the mudguard seems quite full !
No gaps as such

The sidecar wheel tyre size is listed as 400 x 18 but nothing listed on the bike itself

Quite possible that the bike was originally part of a sidecar outfit
Br
Job

It looks as if the officer has pulled rank to sit on the bike for the photo opportunity. The chap standing behind him looks to have anti-gas eyeshields up on his fez ! The first time that I've ever seen that...:laughing:

I've zoomed in and just to the rear of the forks near the rim, I'm sure I can see a zero and 18. Ron

The front stand is also bent at quite an angle too - not seen that before
Br
Job

Nieuwe pagina 1