Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Red insulating varnish

Late 2000, someone was selling many WLA parts.

Among these were engine cases with their inside painted with the red varnish.

Was there a valid purpose for this application ?

The product is called gasoila and intended for use in sealing crankcases.

Glyptol is also used.

Would this benefit the M20 engine?

Henri

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Red insulating varnish

Gasolia is a thread sealant, not for painting crankcases.

Gylptol is a electrical dielectric coating, again not for painting crankcases.

Painting the inside of a crankcase has two purposes.

1. sealing casting porosity to prevent oil leaks.

2. aiding oil flow back in to the sump as a smooth surface won't hold on to the oil as much.

On a M20, I don't know why anyone would do it?

I found this You Tube video which explains why/where/when it might be needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUtQguhxmw

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If there is any horsepower gain from using this paint it must be minute...So little in fact it would have no relevance to any road engine...In the film he gives no comparative figures to either confirm the suggested problems or to quantify the potential gains...This may just be a case of which expert you choose to believe...(painted or not painted crankcases, smooth or rough inlet ports, increased internal clearance or polished flywheel rims etc. etc.)

Regarding the use of such paint in older bikes the only manufacturer that employed the practice routinely that I know of was Royal Enfield and my understanding was that it was a reaction to porosity issues with some castings...As an aside I recall Norton had a similar problem temporarily on later Commando cylinder heads...

Solving a problem that isn't proven to exist, or even to be self evidently a clear problem in a standard M20 or B33 engine for example, seems to be a rather fruitless excercise....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

In my late teens I was a cylinder head development engineering for a race engine company. Many historic race engines were painted red inside. The claim then was to stop sand being released from the castings. The owner of the company insisted that every trace should be removed. I can understand why, as some motor oils will lift paint.
Older machine tools are often painted red inside too. It does make them look better.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Hi Mark

https://vtwin.parts/supplier/v-twin/sportster-1952-up/engine/oil-chemical/oil-chemicals/harley-davidson-indian-motorcycle-v-twin-gasoila-red-varnish-sealant-41-0151

['Older machine tools are often painted red inside too. It does make them look better.']

The insides of the castings were painted on the automatic lathes and other machine tools that were manufactured by Brown and Sharpe when I did my apprenticeship with them...They chose yellow and it was just for the cosmetic effect...Sectioned engines and other assemblies often get the same treatment...

I considered painting the castings internally on my BSA engines at one point years back but didn't think it was really beneficial....I did repaint the crank cases on various Enfields I owned when rebuilding the engines back in the mid 70's as I was still able to source the paint originally used...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you for all of your comments.

After putting my crankcase in the ultrasound and puzzling over the results, I considered using silver paint to cover the staining patches on their outside surface.

I also remembered the effect that those WLA cases had all in red.

As I see it now, the BSA crankcases don’t require being painted in red lacquer. The porosity of the BSA castings doesn’t warrant doing it.

Strictly for cosmetic reasons would I do it.

Nieuwe pagina 1