Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long threads Ian

Ian regarding the long threads, I agree it can be a bit tedious. But it has been mentioned before. Do you not have the slider on the right of your screen? I simply hold the curser on the slider and slide it to the bottom. Much much quicker than scrolling. Ron:+1:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Long threads Ian

Hi Ian
An old broadband router may also be a data blocker for you
No idea how long you have it but these can really slow things down
Even on my phone - it zips through the thread very rapidly

Perhaps a chat with your service provider might provide a better hook up
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Ian is right
To be of any use threads need to be short and specific. particularly for those who do archive searches

Many times long threads drift way of the headline so the gems of wisedom get lost rather than passed down which defeats the purpose of having an open public forum.

As for bad internet, we in OZ have the worst internet on the planet, slowest speeds and most flakey connections so there are times when I have read & replied to the entire days posting before one or two threads have finished downloading
Particularly those with a lot of photos
Remember that the photo is not on the Bravenet server so you browser has to go to the image host & download the image or in the case of Wades thread a lot of images.
This also gobbles up your data allocation because every time you dowload the thread, you download all of the images as well .
Fine for those of you with deep pockets who have unlimited download volumes at 100Gb/sec or better but a disaster for people like myself on 10 Gb / month and wastful because in this case the original 59 images were not relevent to the topic of the switch & ampmeter
So it would be much more user friendly for Wade to have started a new thread " Are these the right Ampmeter & headlamp rim "or some thing similar .'
Even beter is if I was looking for the correct headlamp rim or ampmeter a thread with that title would pop up in the search where as to find it in Wades thread I would have to do a text search and that brings up 50 pages most of which are about the function & wiring .
The only exception is the rebuild threads where each image shows a new part and it being fitted to a bike so they become a step by step how to do it thread . sort of like Popular mechanics or a Haynes manual without the mistakes .

Not meaning to be critical or authorative but in my case I consider it internet courtsey.
Being a photographer I would expect Wade to have a fairly new computer thta has a high end & very fast graphics card connected via a high speed internet connection with very large data allocation
Where as I am semi retired & previously bankrupted so am using a 15 year old computer on a basic internet plan.
And it takes a long time for it to resolve & draw the photos that have become redundant because they are no longer the topic of discussion.

And as for using a "go to end of thread" command that does not work well for sites like this because the images are stored remotely and the server does not leave a blank space for the image to download into
Thus you go directly to the end of the last post then as the images download, the viewed area scrolls up the thread and continues to do this till the final image is loaded .
If the images were stored on the loacl host then that would work quite fine but for remotely stored images it does not .
There is a thread on the RR forum that takes better than 10 minutes to complete loading because of all of the images so it isa real problem for some users .

Point taken . I didnt know anyone still had slow internet. Here in America it seems that you either have decent service or none at all. Even hot spotting from my phone gives me plenty of speed. And on Britbike.com my window goes straight to the new posting if Ive looked at the thread before... So I like seeing the whole history of a person's purchase and rebuild. Easy to go back and read it like a short story if I want too . But as stated this site is a different style and it doesnt work the same way for me here ... So in the future I will start a new thread for each question or what ever I want to chat about... I'll just include a link to my original thread if you want to find it easily.

Ive tried to cut back a bit on the amount of photos I post for the same reason. Initially I thought more photos would give you more info but it seems to just make people get bored so I'll try it with less ... Maybe I'll get more answers/responses with the new combination of less photos and specific individual threads??? Or maybe I'll just have a lot of threads ;)

email (option): wadeschields@mindspring.com

We are all voyeurs we all like photos and yours are always better than mine .
But yes unless you are documenting a rebuild so the continuity is important single topic threads would be better .
FWIW I get shaped to 56 kb/s if I go over the monthly limit .
The ADSL link rarely exceeds 1 Gb/s
The weireless link can get almost to 10Gb/s but will drop out regularly and average speed check is 3 to 4 Gb/s .
And the joke of this I am 75 km from the Sydney Harbour bridge and 3 km from the soon to be completed West Sydney Airport .
The major ISP's are trying to force evry one onto the new G5 network at $ 100+ a month .
BEfore the new & improved roll out of the NBN I use to get 4 Gb/s on the ASDL link but from the day the NBN was available that went down to 1
Ofically we are "technically impossible" to hook up to the fiber cable that I watched being laid on the other side of the road so when I complain I get told officially we are supposed to go on satelite which would be $ 300 / month for the same data content as I have now .
And yes I can get twice that amount & double the speed for 1/2 the price on my phone but at 70 I am not going to go blind using a phone for surfing the web .

Nieuwe pagina 1