Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1941 WD G3L Saddle Issue

Hi guys

I have struck another problem with my project. The saddle.

The front (nose) of the saddle is too wide for the mounting point.

Anyone experience this and what to do?

Secondly, what bolt is required for this connection?

Cheers

Al

Re: 1941 WD G3L Saddle Issue

There are many different saddles, yours is probably the wrong one?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Is this an original Matchless saddle? Any chance of a few pictures without the cover...?

Are te front brackets riveted or bolted? (Can't see this in your pictures). If bolted, turn them left to right...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Rob

I hate you. Not helpful. :joy:

Al

Jan

Images of the saddle as I bought it, as NOS, and after restoration and new springs and cover.

The illustrated spares list for the 41-G3L shows the front brackets stepped inwards rather than outwards as on your saddle, so perhaps you could re rivet them on the opposite sides?

Rob

g3l

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the pictures! Looks a bit like a BSA Terry saddle, but it isn't. The BSA saddle has the rear brackets for the main springs on the inside of the back rail, and the front brackets are also slightly different:

terry-saddle-3

Before the arrival of the Universal saddles (late 1943), there were several saddle makers (Terry, Lycett, Brooks, Dunlop), who were making saddles for the different motorcycle makes (BSA, Norton, Triumph, Enfield, Ariel, ...). There were umpteen different variations, as Rob explained.

Your saddle is definitely a Terry, and it is definitely not for a BSA, Norton, Enfield or Matchless. Could be Triumph or Ariel? Unfortunately I don't have any documentation on the Ariel and Triumph Terry saddles... Is there anybody here who's got an original Ariel or Triumph Terry saddle...?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

From your pictures, it looks like your saddle springs are too short?? You would need the type with the longer loops as in the picture Rob posted. From memory they would be about 6 1/2" long. I'll check that later as I'm actually have a batch made. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes 6 1/2". Ron
DSCF4660

Ron, thanks again.

I have another saddle frame, but it looks different again with a single slot at the nose rather than a series of holes for the 5 springs.

I found this sadfle online, is this a correct saddle for the Matchless?

Cheers

Al

Ron

Apparently these are listed as 7 inch, but look similar to yours.

Alun your second saddle is a Terry's universal. These were employed later in the war as a means of standardization and economy throughout all makes. Because of the extra dropped bar at the back, these were fitted with shorter saddle springs.(See illustration for the last contract G3L's in 1944)

Those 7" springs will probably do nicely.
Ron

scan0012

Ron

Your advice is very much appreciated.

So you are saying the 2nd saddle will work with the 7 inch springs, correct?

Could I use my first saddle with the 7 inch springs if I reverse the front mounting lugs to narrow them?

It seems a shame to swap it out after all the money I spent restoring it, to go and buy another one at a cost of $190 AUD.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Al

Yes I would say use your first saddle which is far more in keeping with your 41 G3L and those 7" springs.

What is the length of your current springs? Just wedge the saddle up to the required height for the 7" springs to make sure it looks ok before you buy them.
Ron

Maybe the reason the saddle had remained unused stock is that amongst the mass of wartime production, the front lugs were fitted incorrectly ? If swapping them over will give the correct width and the rear mounts are correctly poitioned so the springs are vertical then it seems the sensible thing to do.

Ron Pier
Yes I would say use your first saddle which is far more in keeping with your 41 G3L and those 7" springs.

What is the length of your current springs? Just wedge the saddle up to the required height for the 7" springs to make sure it looks ok before you buy them.
Ron
Will do.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alun,

Are you still looking for springs for your G3L? I have a set that came with my G3WO. I've now found the correct ones so the G3L ones are surplus to requirements. Send me an email if you're interested and I can send you a picture.

Regards,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Tom Millward
Hi Alun,

Are you still looking for springs for your G3L? I have a set that came with my G3WO. I've now found the correct ones so the G3L ones are surplus to requirements. Send me an email if you're interested and I can send you a picture.

Regards,

Tom
Will do.

Thanks

Nieuwe pagina 1