Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1941 WD G3L speedo mounting question

I have an original Smiths Chronometric speedo which came with a mount attached. I wasn't sure if it was the correct mount for my bike as the shape of the part does not match the speedo mount depicted in the parts list for my bike.

So I ordered a speedo mount and it arrived and it does not appear to fit my speedo.

Which now I have looked at again, the part I ordered doesn't match either.

Can someone advise please if this mount I bought, can be used to connect the speedo or do I need to keep looking for the correct part?

I cant recall what the other bracket is for, but it was in with my speedo mount in my box of purchased spares, and I forgot what it is for. I'm pretty sure it is not related to the speedo mount.

Cheers

Al

Re: 1941 WD G3L speedo mounting question

Morning Alun

the centre bracket in the lower picture is the same speedo bracket as on my own WD G3L. Possibly you have a wrong speedo head? The seedo head studs should be one to the front of the speedo & one to the back of the speedo, eash secured by a 1/4 BSW nut, flat washer , & a spring washer

Cheers

CM

Chris the thread size of the studs is actually metric M6. I believe from the original French Jaeger design. 0BA nuts have the same thread. 1/4" BSF nuts fit but are very loose and wobbly. As far as I'm aware, all the Chronometric speedo's have the same stud orientation 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

use the black T shape bracket you have, if the holes match up on your top yoke, you might have to put your bolts/washers in first before you tighten up the speedo and remember to put your top headlamp brackets on first, they go on the same bolts under the speedo bracket

barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

barry fuller
use the black T shape bracket you have, if the holes match up on your top yoke, you might have to put your bolts/washers in first before you tighten up the speedo and remember to put your top headlamp brackets on first, they go on the same bolts under the speedo bracket

barry
i was ment to say is that a correct speedo ie smiths

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Yes, the speedo is a correct Smiths Chronometric. Model has no trip meter, max speed 80mph.

Looks like this

So the bracket next to speedo is upside down? The two holes (vertical) screw onto rear of speedo, and the two holes (horizontal) on the outside of T end of the bracket mount onto top of the triple tree, over the head lamp stays?

I'll check it out today, thanks.

Al

Now all you need to do, is to buy and fit a cheap repro speedo from India and put your period one in your bank's safe deposit box! Alas......

Yep, it fits, now I know how it goes on.

Cleaned and painted the speedo and the bracket. All assembled now and looking lovely.

Nieuwe pagina 1