Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wm 20 frame number

I have just got my wm20 going( complete rebuild) , the only number I can find on the frame is 66.4037 , stamped below the seat. I cannot find anything relating to this, can anyone help? I have another frame WM20. 55454 , would this be from 1942?
I am in Australia .
Daren

email (option): darenmather@hotmail.com

Re: Wm 20 frame number

That is the part number of the frame or bracket
Frame numer will be on the front either near the steering stem or front engine mount & will be visible from the right side of the bike without remooving anything
Pre 1930 some frame numbers were stamped into the frame just under the seat bracket
Good chance you have a spare parts special
You can do all sorts of things with pre war bolt up frames
Some of the numbers are quite faint and a couple of brush coats of paint & they are gone .

This came up recently, it seems there re quite a few of these replacement frames around.

Rob

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1451632&cmd=show

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the information , I was hoping to find out the bikes service history I guess this cannot be done on a part number. The engine number is WM20.44823.
Daren

email (option): darenmather@hotmail.com

If you're in Australia then you have more chance than anywhere else of finding something out. Your engine would originally have been fitted to a frame bearing the same number and it ought to be listed in the registers now held by the AWM. I had an idea that someone had extracted all the BSA information but I'm not sure who.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1424610

Actually ther is 5/8 of SFA information in the ledgers
I for one have downloaded all of them as I have both WM20's & B40GA's
In the case of th WM20's some times it recordes the name of the purchaser but in most cases just the disposal agent
There is no service records and way too many of them are incorrect as they only have the frame numbers and most would have had a different engine numer as the Aust Ary did the same as the UK and simply did engine swaps when major services were required
There is no service record at all
M20's are in book 202 & 203
To get a service record you need the military rego plate number or service plant number for those who did not have a number plate
There is no readily available cross refference for these two.

Really upset about this as my B40's all had an accumulation of dirt indicating the army rego playe numbers and muggind here washed that away when he washed the bike the first time .

Nieuwe pagina 1