The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1941 WD G3L Fuel Tank Question

Hi everyone

My G3L is from contract 9841.

The fuel tank that came with the project (basket case of parts) has both set of mounts for the winged M and the knee pads.

According to the reference I have, this tank is correct for G3WO on contracts 7183, 8078 and , 8934

Apparently, my contract is simply the mounts for the winged M and appears to be a different shape as well.

tanks

I do not have another tank to compare it to, so I am not sure if I have a G3WO tank or a G3L tank but post war maybe.

Apologies for the image, it is the only one I have with me of my tank right now.

tank1

Any advice?

Cheers

Al

Re: 1941 WD G3L Fuel Tank Question

the G3WO tank is much longer than a G3L tank and will have 3 extra holes where the seat recess is for a water deflector, if not the its a post war G3L tank.
early G3L's had just the M badges with a more flatter top tank and have slightly different indents on the bottom
later tanks or mid war tanks are more rounded with no badge or grip holes,
a pre 1949 post war tank can be used with the knee grip and badge holes filled in unless you want to keep the badge

hope this helps

barry

Barry

Thanks for that. A quick question regarding the mounting holes underneath, do they need to be exactly in the centre of the mounts on the frame? I've noticed that they are a little off centre on mine.

I also bought a repro tank from India as a back up which is absolutely woeful. Firstly the underside recesses are the mirror image of what it is on my other tank and when you align it to the frame mounts it is completely crooked.

Cheers

Al

over time the mounting brackets on the frame can get bent or repaired, as long as you get all four bolts with rubbers on it should be ok, if you got room on the mounts you can always move the tank about slightly, if not just leave it. ive never delt with an indian made tank so im not sure what there like.

barry

Al, it might be a bit more complicated than the drawings on Simons website, the tank you have was the best one I had to go with the project, I have had a similar tank since then, but nobody can tell me what year it is, it's certainly not a G3WO tank, as I would have known. Before sandblasting, the tank was army green, I do remember that.

Never ever buy Indian tanks, mudguards are not too bad, but all need work.

Barry is right about the mounting tabs, the holes are bigger than the threaded ones in the tank for a reason.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Lex

All good my friend. I can only go on what research I find and that was why I asked here.

I have a couple of small dents to remove from the tank and then get into the rust removal.

At least now I know I can tweak how the tank sits on the frame.

The project is coming along well. Actually started a lot of painting of parts and assembly......finally

The wheels came out a treat. I impressed myself with my spray painting skills. :joy:

There's a G3L tank in Greece from one of the usual sellers. Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265612775672?hash=item3dd7c150f8:g:9pYAAOSwgl5hyZTO

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron

I think I will stick with the tank I have.

Al

Nieuwe pagina 1