Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20

Hi, I hope someone can help please. I have just purchased a BSA motorcycle Frame number WM20.10979 the engine number is the same.
I would like to find out if this an ex army bike, and if so what number would have been on the tank. Should there be a gearbox number?
I am unsure of the year it states registered in 1947 on the V5.
Any information would be great.
Thank you for your time and help
Robert

email (option): robertdixon731@hotmail.com

Re: M20

Hi Robert

That's an unusual find, a pretty early machine with matching numbers, but assuming the numbers are original.

Its was delivered to the War Office on 8/12/39 in Delux spec according to the BSA factory ledger

It was part of contract C5110 and probably had the tank serial C4123975

I thought it was in the post war keycards but I was mistaken

Can we see some pictures please

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

This one is close
C4124078

GNr-PRmy-Rh-Ce-HEcdc-D-On-A
u-Ip-Oj-PYKSqa23-CN-Mno-ALQ
l-RHLl7d3-SQW4-HAFYs-Qq-Qe-A
ssjli-R82-TLev9o-W7-G1-ONxg
t8-Wmr-NQu-Qo-CIRSz-I2i8-Gg-A
0xr-Lsta3-SLm-Goe9evx-Iq-PA
z-Op7p-Nlp-T-idd-Iku-RKqq-Pg

Rob thank you for your information. I hope the pictures have appeared. I also sent a picture of a number plate that came with the bike I do not know if the number is off the bike or not. It is not the number on the V5. It would appear the previous owner has a letter confirming the details. My worry is the W is double stamped but there is no other number or sign of one.
Robert

Robert, according to my Key Cards, the ERM number 18YD75 had framenumber 30693, so probably not this bike.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Thank you. The plate came with the bike along with other bits i.e crank cases, good crank,oil pump there, is a gearbox which is complete
The previous owner had trouble selecting 3rd gear and put a recon box in the bike. I am going to have a look and see what the problem is if it is simple I will change the original back into the bike. Any info on the box would be great. Can the gearbox be traced by its number as to what bike it belongs.

No, gearbox numbers generally cannot be traced, unless before 1941 maybe?? I know more about Nortons and Matchlesses, sorry!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Looks like a nice machine, the first aid tin on the rear carrier is like the ones used on Post Office BSA Bantams, but they may go back earlier than that?

Does the frame number look OK, is there any flattening underneath it or file marks?

Rob

That is a nice machine Robert!

I have some doubts about the originality of the enginenumber. I have the impression that the last numbers '10979' are stamped in a different fond then 'WM20'. See the difference between the '0' of 'WM20' and the '0' within the '10979' number.

Restamping of enginenumbers was often done after a engine rebuild by the Army in late or post war years. It is very difficult to exactly determine the age/production date of these engine's. Your M20 looks very 1942 till 1945 to me, there are no early parts on this bike. Nevertheless a very nice M20.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Rob. There are no signs of tampering. I have several bikes from 1913 upwards so would notice anything unusual, no filing marks the frame is round no flat spots. I have come across a few re numbered bikes but I am happy with this one except the double stamp W. The engine also looks ok with no filing etc. The chap I got it off is happy it is ok. It has been in Northern Ireland for a long time. The first aid box has been added, it would not hold much a few plasters and defo not field dressings. Some nuts have been changed. I had it going today and went a short drive the petrol has been in the tank since 2019 and it hasnt been started since then.
It started quite easily and runs well. It has the usual oil drips.
Robert

Isn't it the case that late-war spare crankcases and front frame sections were supplied un-stamped? Was the 'WM20' factory stamped and the rest left blank ?

fullsizeoutput-1433

That I cannot answer, this is my first WM20.

Robert, can you check under the back of the petrol tank on your M20 to see which type of front seat mounting you have, one or two piece construction?

Rob

KM20-4754-WM20-98011-d

Rob it is the Two part.
Robert

Hi Robert, that would seem to indicate that it was a replacement frame stamped with a 1940 number later on.

Rob

Thank you for your help. I have yet to get my new V5 but I believe it is 1947 on the V5.
Robert

The date on the V5C (logbook) is only the date of first registration. (after demob from military service) For an M20 this can be anything up to the late 60's. For "Historic" registration, the V5C will usually also state the "Declared year of manufacture" Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What year would the WM20s stop being made. Would it be fair to say this bike would be mid to late 40s

WM ran from 1940-1945. XM was the prefix for 1946. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It was probably built in an Army Workshop some time around 1944-7, if it was registered in 1947 it can't be any later than that.

Rob

Rob. Re the C tank number. Would the tank number stay the same as the original bike i.e C4123975.
Or would it have got a new number in 1947. I want to put a number on the tank but do not want to mislead anyone.
Thank you

Hi Robert, its really up to you, the chances are it was given a rebuild serial starting C14..... several years before 1947, but it doesn't look like there is any surviving record of what this number would have been in the case of your bike unless you have a brass plate riveted in your toolbox.

So either paint C4123975 on it or make up a rebuild number from the block C1400000-1499999, but there is a slight risk that you will pick one which can be linked to another BSA Norton or Matchless.

Rob

I have decided to sell my BSA M20. It is shown in the pictures below.
The first aid box and the long number plate and other parts do not go with the bike.
I am open to good offers, The bike is running and has just had a new valve seat fitted (Exhaust)
It is not a show bike but looks the part. Due to the age of the bike I cannot give any warranty.
What you see is what you get. I can arrange delivery to Founders day Stanford hall on 24th July for around £200
Or sooner would be around £300 if near the M6 area.
Please send email and I will try and answer questions.
Only selling as I am buying a flat tank Norton.
Thank you.
Robe

Nieuwe pagina 1