Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A little screw question

Chaps, having a slight mental block here. I have broken off some 3/16 Cheese head screws and need to replace them. I cannot find 3/16 but something in the back of my wearing old mind makes me think they are pretty much the same as BSW at 3/16. Perhaps some kind soul will help me out? thank you Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Re: A little screw question

This doesn't make much sense...What were the broken screws used for?...Theoretically no threads are directly interchangeable as their specifications are different but some are close enough to each other to get away with.. (but I didn't say that!!)...However, first you must determine what the original thread was before looking for a candidate...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks for the reply Ian. Let me explain in a little more detail. The screws hold the rear stub axle/spindle retaining plate in the brake drub of my 29 AJS ( same as my G3WO) . They are definitely 3/16 CEI as I extracted them and put the tap through to check the thread. When looking for a supplier I cannot find anyone offering 3/16 CEI and then I recall ( vaguely) they dont make 3/16 CEI but use Whit instead because it works perfectly. I will call Middleton on Monday and see whether he can supply CEI which will probably render my question pointless! Thanks again.

EDIT: I just did some googling and actually CEI increases to 32TPI at 3/16 which is the same as BSF. Clearly the angles are pitch is 60 for CEI and 55 for BSF, but I think that works from memory.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Andrew, the original size for the WM20 primary case screws was also 3/16. All the dealers will sell you 2BA. They're a tiny bit slack but hold fine. 3/16 = .1875 x 32 tpi....2BA = .1850 x 31.4 tpi. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

10-32 UNF works well and has a 60degree thread angle...Also it's available...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you Ron and Ian I have 2BA and 5-32 on the shelf so project can move forward once more . Cheers chaps.

You say this is for a 1929 AJS and it is the same screw as your G3WO which I assume is around 1940 vintage?

I have a 1929 AJS and there is nothing shared between it and later AMC bikes. AJS went bankrupt in 1931 and other than the OHC bikes everything else became a Matchless with different tank badges.

Do you perhaps mean a 1939 AJS?

Nieuwe pagina 1