Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pumps. Tyre, Hand, lengths

This is from the August 1943 Chilwell master spares list, VAOS LV6-MT1 Volume 1 Miscellaneous Stores, this is for replacement pumps not the original factory fitment, and the image shows a Dunlop pump but I suspect other makes were probably purchased at various periods.

I wonder if forum members could do a bit of measuring to work out which pumps went with which makes and models and perhaps to see if there was any standardisation towards the later part of the war?

Rob

pumps

pumps2

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Pumps. Tyre, Hand, lengths

Here is an NOS original Dunlop pump with WD label.

Rob

p1-Copy

p3

Rob it's strange that there is such a variation in lengths between the bike manufacturers. I'll get round mine and measure the distances between the end supports when I can. Today I have a large fallen tree to deal with:angry: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Part no 24565 on Robs list for Norton motor cycles is also the same part no in the Triumph 3HW parts lists, D49 was also in the Triumph pre war and post war books as 15&3/4 inch but does compress down to about 15&1/4 inch to fit the tangs on the Triumph top chain guard which was common to all rigid models from 1937-53.

Above 1939 parts list.
Below wartime parts list.

Below photos show a THAPEX pump on the Triumph chain guard,this size pump does not fit the tangs of the BSA M20 petrol tank,dont know what other makes this size pump fits,although Robs list has the same part no as in the Triumph 3HW parts list ,it may also fit Nortons.

The Norton pump, 24565 was listed as 15" from at least March 1937.

List-B-1-3

I have three Norton-branded (but not WD-marked) inflators. One is 15 1/4" long and compresses to 14 1/2". This fits comfortably in the fuel tank mounts which are 14 1/2" apart at the tip. The other two are 15 1/2" uncompressed.

I can't envisage that an inflator with a 15 3/4" free length could ever fit into the Norton 14 1/2" lugs. It's a puzzle that the same pump should be listed for Triumph and Norton.

Norton used the same 9617 part number for the factory-supplied inflator from 1932 through until 1945...unfortunately, they changed their part numbering system for 1946, but the period included the pump being relocated to the rear chain guard on the civilian models.

31286 14 inch in Robs list is also the part no in the 41-G3L parts book, and 18374 13 inch is also the part no in the JAMES ML parts book.

Bluemels supplied 6000 15" inflators for Norton Motorcycles early in 1945. The 24565 reference was used.

IMG-4035-3

W.Lowe & Co. supplied a larger quantity of 16 3/4" pumps for BSAs.

IMG-4034-2

Thanks for the replies, I have just had my phone line and internet repaired after 3 weeks so its nice to pick this up again.

I haven't seen a pump marked "W Lowe & Co", is it possible they are Apex or Thapex?

Rob

May these contracts indicate that Norton/BSA did not supply the pumps with the bike at that time?
Contract S5161 was also for 6000 machines !!

The original specification did not mention the tyre pump (See https://www.wdnorton.nl/Original_WD16H_Specifications.html) but there were definitly pumps provided with a Norton marking!
We all assume these were used on the military machines as well!

mmmmmmm

I guess they lost a lot of them as well in the line of duty

cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

The pump must have been the easiest thing on a bike to be lost or stolen.

The Chilwell list gives BSA contract C3739 as 14", that contract would be KC10s but the 1939 BSA civilian spares list gives the same part number for C10 and M20 models 27-8958, did the Military C10 have a different pump to the civilian models?

Rob

I can't trace any inflator manufacturer by the name of Lowe. Grace's Guide shows publicity material for Apex Inflator going back to the beginning of the 20th Century, and always just under the 'Apex' name...It's unlikely that Dunlop ever made their own pumps, and certainly not in wartime. I wonder if Lowe were a company who only made branded products for others ?

It's possible on a late-war contract that pumps were no longer supplied with machines and sourced by the MoS separately. Unfortunately, the ledger evidence is skimpy on the late-war contracts. Maybe when things are again normal, I'll be able to get back to the National Archive and look at inflator contracts separately.

Nieuwe pagina 1