Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grease gun suggestion

Hello again all

I had a very hair raising inaugural ride down the road on my m20 today before I start renovation proper. The combination of the bike not being ridden since 1987, me only ever ridden Japanese brake/gear combo, lack of front brake bite and quite stiff steering bearings all almost led to disaster on a sharp corner on our street with me stamping on the gear lever on realizing front brake was doing nothing; much lols. Quite a change from my VRr750 !!

Anyway there are masses of grease nipples all over the bike and they seem smaller than the old grease gun I have. Does anyone know what the correct grease nipple fitment I should use or indeed recommend a gun. I presume it would be imperial and my late model gun is a large metric type.

Cheers
Neil

email (option): nlhclarke@gmail.com

Re: Grease gun suggestion

The original nipples are the Tecalemit type which requires the Tecalemit pump action grease/oil gun. For everyday use it's better to replace them with modern 1/4 BSF nipples and buy a modern grease gun if you haven't already got one. All available quite cheaply from ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=grease+nipples+1%2F4+bsf&_sacat=0

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Ron

many thanks for that reply, I can see options for both very prevalent on eBay. On the tecalemit nipple option, are there several different types on these bikes that would need a gun with a particular receptacle? It seems there are loads of tecalemit guns on there but many are more automotive and I suspect for larger nipples that might not suit an M20. I'm trying to save a bit of work in changing out lots of nipples that might not come free easily after 70 years. The line of least resistance !! Cheers Neil

email (option): nlhclarke@gmail.com

I can't remember experiencing and difficulty in removing the old nipples. Once you have the correct little spanners/sockets in your hand for both types of nipples, I'd say it's a therapeutic 15 minutes to change all the important ones (Forks mainly). Great to attach a modern grease gun and give a good shot right where it's needed. I've even swapped the Tecalemit's for modern, greased the forks and put the old ones back for authentic effect. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

These are the most commonly found Tecalemit nipples. Quite often, a modern 'Zerk' type gun can be pushed on and it will pump through effectively.

Tecalemit-Ad

Standard WW ( not UNC ) grease nipples are fine and don't look out of place.
However a little word of warming
One stroke from the originanl grease gun is about 1/10 of the amount of grease that a modern car sized grease gun puts out per stroke
So when you read 1 stroke for the brake cam & 2 for the hub. that is not 1 & 2 strokes from a modern gun .
For girders it just makes a mess but on the wheels it can end up with greas all over the drums.
And if you think the brakes were "challenged " before, try them when the drum is greased .
Unlike modern bikes, most of the braking is done by the engine, not the brakes .
It is an acquired skill to work out exatly when to back off into a corner to get the right amount of speed retarding.
The rear brake is primarily used for activating the brake light and standing the bike up when flipping from one side to the other .
The other thing tha catches people out , new to girders is the wheel base increases when you use the front brake so the bike handles braking totally different to tele forks where the wheel base decreases when you brake
Find a carpark & do some slow figure 8 turns using the brake & you will soon get the hang of it .
If you are used to your bike turning sharper under braking it takes a while to get used to it running wide under brakes so it seems to be resisting a turn
FWIW I rarely ever actually use the front brake except at traffic lights or if riding the clutch wile waiting for a break in the traffic

Nieuwe pagina 1