Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bsa m20 deluxe - rear carrier

Hi
I can guess but - what was the std clearance between the centre rib rear guard & the under side of the middle rib on the carrier
Would it be as much as 1/4”
I have an undrilled guard & I can only drill once

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Bsa m20 deluxe - rear carrier

John I would say that whether it's a valanced guard or not, the position of the bolts for the legs are equal distance from the center upright stay and the bottom of the legs are about on the edge of the guard. I'd line it up like that and check that you have clearance above the rib. Ron
BSA-IWM-6
BSA-WM21-2415-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron
I am fitting a well known Belgian manufactured made carrier & I know this to be dimensionally correct

1/4” gap has been confirmed by another forum member & I had guessed equidistant from the upright stay would be correct - so it looks like nerves of steel required later when the drilling starts

On a related topic - I noted subtle differences in the carriers you have kindly posted
I have had the opinion that there are at least 2 types - like lifting handles where I have seen 3
1/ early type - middle bar has a flat section to clear the centre rib
2/ later type - slightly smaller Id tube - no flat section - clearance achieved by raising slightly higher - that I can see - haven’t seen an original drilled mid war ribbed guard

Maybe there are some here who have more knowledge than my basic observations
Br
Jo’b

Fortunately the top picture is taken straight on and quite clear. If you blow it up and put a rule across the bolt heads it confirms the equidistance. Once you have one hole drilled and a nut and bolt nipped up, the rest should follow suit. Ron (good luck :+1: )

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron
I was tearing out stuff today & what did I find but a valenced rear guard I forgot I had
Luckily it’s drilled so I can mount the carrier on it & measure holes & their height
I didn’t drill today as I got distracted by my gearbox build
Br
Job

Nieuwe pagina 1