Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WM20: weight at full load.

Hi everyone, I have a problem on an information on the BSA WM20: the weight of the motorcycle at full load.

The bike in order of march weighs 178 kg, but what is the technical data of the total mass of the motorcycle at full load (with 2 men and equipment in bags)? I believe it is at least 370 kg.

I would like to know this original data and if there is a technical data sheet of the time that shows the data.

Thank you all for the help
Mauro

email (option): bongiovanni1988@libero.it

Re: BSA WM20: weight at full load.

I can't imagine there ever was such data? To be within any maximum weight requirement, the men would have to weigh themselves and their equipment or place the whole mass on a weighbridge! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have only seen official measurements for unladen weight, and I understand the pillion equipment on an M20 wasn't designed to be used full time, just occasionally.

Rob

This is from the wartime Date Book of RAF Vehicles

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

This insistence on a documented official unladen and maximum weight is a common aspect in many countries. It wasn't though a concept in the UK where the test of 'reasonableness' would have applied to overloading a motorycle at that time.

I have a poor copy of a 1953-dated Austrian document for an ex-WD16H with sidecar and it shows an unladen weight of 270 kg with a maximum weight of 520kg.

Presumably there was an official formula for calculating these things at the time. Current commercial vehicle payloads assume 70kg for the driver. I'd suspect that 140kg for driver and passenger and 30kg for luggage would be about all the M20 would be rated for. Maybe an all-up weight of 350 kg ?

Austrian-Registration-Details

The best option, I think, would be to obtain a copy of a current registration document for an M20 in the country concerned.

70kg (11 stone)? Have you been in many greasy spoon lorry stops lately?? :smile: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you all for the answers.
Unfortunately I need this data to fill out documents for the historical register in Italy.

According to the data in my circulation booklet the overall mass would be 265 kg, but it would not make sense because if we remove the weight of the bike they would remain less than 90 kg of flow (not even my weight weight).

I will put a 350 kg, just to put a sensible given.
If so there are no documentation about it ...

thank you

Mauro
Thank you all for the answers.
Unfortunately I need this data to fill out documents for the historical register in Italy.

According to the data in my circulation booklet the overall mass would be 265 kg, but it would not make sense because if we remove the weight of the bike they would remain less than 90 kg of flow (not even my weight weight).

I will put a 350 kg, just to put a sensible given.
If so there are no documentation about it ...

thank you
Ring up a tyre maker and ask them what is the load limit on their tyres the same size as yours
Add them together & that is the weight limit of the bike
Just about no country has load limits on motorcycles
What they most likely want is a maxium weight for the purpose of road tax

Thanks for the reply:
In Italy it is all complex, there is the weight limit for every means, cars, trucks, trailers, and motorcycles etc. I have a modern motorcycle, for example, that weighs 130 kg and as a total mass has 230 kg (therefore it will be able to carry a maximum of 200 kg of passengers and any load). Technically if the police stopped me could force me to go to a weight and check that it does not exceed the weight I marked on the booklet.
The overall mass serves only to these controls, it is not used for calculating the fees (which are only on the power or engine displacement).
The load index of the tires for the measurement of the M20 is at least 200 kg with rubber, therefore the bike could weigh at least 400 kg for the tires ...

For this value that I have to indicate for a registration for a historical register I will put 365 kg, which are 100 kg in more than I marked in a booklet (which is therefore wrongly wrong) ... I hope it goes well.

Thank you all for the help

Regard
Mauro

Nieuwe pagina 1