Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Rear Stand Identification

Can anyone tell me if my rear stand is correct for my bike. Bike is 1943 WM20. I've looked at a few parts books but none of the rear stand arrangements that I have seen look like mine. I thought i was just missing a spring to hold the stand up when riding, then i noticed there is a bracket on the mudguard that looks like it may have held the stand when it is lifted, but no longer secures the stand well enough. Is this an original setup, or just someone's attempt at an 'after market enhancement'? Photos hopefully below

IMG-0443
IMG-0447
IMG-0446
IMG-0445
IMG-0444

email (option): shaneambrose@hotmail.com

Re: WM20 Rear Stand Identification

That is definitely a homemade affair! Ron
001-India-Office-BSA-2
05-2
IMG-3941-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'd say it's a stand from another bike that has been fitted to the M20 and as part of that process had the angle iron cross bar welded to it, probable after cutting the stand down to the correct length!...The top part appears too well made to be a home workshop production and there would be little reason to employ those curved sections at the upper end...
To me it has the look of a late 20's, early 30's stand...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I was going to say that credit where it's due, the home mechanic made a good job of those curves. But Ian's less rose coloured view is more likely right.

It is a type that was used Pre War, First World War
That is circa 1910-12 ,the tube is oval! But has certainly been modified

Nieuwe pagina 1