Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Refitting MT110 lens?

Hi all,

A random query: I have an MT110 rear light, which came without a lens. I've obtained a lens and am trying to work out the best way to make a ferrule to attach it. Short of finding an old 'un, the easiest way looks to be to cut a piece of thin tube of appropriate size, which can be gently tamped into shape.

Could anyone tell me:
- Are the original ferrules aluminium or dull chromed brass?
- Any tips for doing this job, if you've tackled it before?

The things we do...!

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

Re: Refitting MT110 lens?

The original ferrule on my 1939 example is aluminium...but MT110s changed a little over the years..Post-war even seem to have had plastic lenses so there may be no single correct answer.

Hi, I've made MT110 rim from bottom of the suitable diameter aluminium spray can. One edge needs to be rolled down.

IMG-9098
IMG-9102
IMG-9103

Kalle

Hi Kalle,

That looks perfect! I'll look for a can of the correct size. Thank you,

Craig

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

Apparently there was an Article in Motor Cycling magazine that covered restoration of the MT110, which also covers replacement of the Rubber.
I have been unable to locate this article.

Darren, there was an article in the Bob Currie era 'The Classic Motorcycle' which detailed replacing the rubber..I don't recall it mentioning the ferrule though...I think that I can probably find it again..

Hello Rik
You are most likely right.
I would be very interested if you could find that article.
Thanks

Great job and a clever solution Kalle....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian. I always keep eyes open for "spare parts". You have to see potential of the emty can. One man's trash is another man's treasure etc.

Kalle

The article "Fixing a 110" was in the September 1990 issue of The Classic Motor Cycle, available as a back issue from Mortons.

Steve.

Kalle
Hi, I've made MT110 rim from bottom of the suitable diameter aluminium spray can. One edge needs to be rolled down.

Kalle
Kalle,

Since I saw your post I've been trying to find a can of the proper diameter to make the rim. No success yet...

What was the can from?

Best regards,
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Kostas, it looks as if it says 'Johnson & Johnson' on the can. I supsect that you need to go looking for deodorant in the ladies cosmetics section if you can't find anything where rough, tough motorcyclists buy their stuff ! :laughing:

['motorcyclits...']...Freudian slip?:laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Cheers Ian, I've corrected it. Don't want to make a complete c*nt of myself on the internet ! :grimacing:

Since I saw your post I\'ve been trying to find a can of the proper diameter to make the rim. No success yet...

What was the can from?

Best regards,
Kostas
Hi Kostas. Sort of deodorant. It was OFF moquito repellent if I remember correctly.
Kalle

Rik and Kalle,

Thank you for your replies!

Off to the drug store then...

Cheers,

Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Does anyone have a scan of the "fixing the MT110" article in "the classic motorcycle September 1990"
Since Brexshit I am extremely hesitant to ordere anything from the UK. Too expensive and uncertain if it ever arrives.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Problem solved, copy found by friends.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Rob,

You shouldn't have any problems sourcing uk parts unless the supplier is unable to figure out the paper work.
I know at the moment dutch customs are playing silly buggers and causing delays.
We export world wide, and it seems that some country's have their annoying times.
Also I'm sure some customers are black listed, we have a problem with one customer in Sweden at the moment who can't get his UPS delivery.
I don't think he means too, but I imagine he could upset the delivery people.
We treat our delivery drivers well, and it pays.
Don't think we are a soft touch, Anita creates merry hell if things are over late being delivered.

If you are stuck for a uk part, maybe we can source it for you

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the offer.
No immediate need but I bought a 15 pound booklet (including postage) which fitted in an A4 envelope some time ago and in the end it costed over 22 pounds and took six agonising weeks not knowing if it was coming at all. Indeed caused by the Dutch customs service.
Before Brexit this was never an issue as the customs were not needed at all and it came within 3 days!

Cheers,

Rob

Hi rob
Last year I sent parts to a forum member in Nl via Royal Mail

It arrived in NL within 48 hrs & then sat festering in the NL mail facility from 29/06/21 until it arrived like the fog 24/11/21

5 months to be delivered /

Having sent parts all over before & after Brexit - I do believe RM get the stuff out the door & overseas very quickly

I don’t see changes within Uk to be so much of the issue

Now I am beginning to learn what the Irish postal service is like 😃😃
Hope all good with you
Br
Jo’b

email (option): Jonnyob1

For the sake of good order (and because I can never remember where the article is) - this is the 'Rasselas' article detailing replacement of the diaphragm rubber.

MT110-Refurbishment-1

MT110-Refurbishment-2

Thanks for posting this Rik, I've got a couple of MT110s to fix and this will be a great help.

It's quite some time since I've done one, Tony but I recall following the instructions to the letter and it works just as he suggests.

Nieuwe pagina 1