The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flywheel Taper repair

Hi
Has anyone ever recovered/ repaired the taper on an m20/21 flywheel

I have one - drive side - which when pressed together binds/ locks up the big end assy

The engineer on the case doesn’t have the facility to do such

Can it be recovered ? I suppose this depends on the wear or damage or is it destined to be a doorstop
Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Flywheel Taper repair

Hi John...If you have an Alpha big end the problem may be the radius where the taper joins the shoulder of the pin...Alpha pins often have a larger radius that the originals and the pin 'binds' there...The solution, if that is the case, is to slightly increase the size of the countersink in the flywheel to provide clearance and accommodate the radius on the pin...

If it's not that, could you describe exactly what you mean and where the problem lies?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There are better big end kits. Another option if the flywheel means a lot to you is a custom pin. Re-machining the taper is a bit of a pain even with my kit.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Alpha made up and fitted an oversized pin for my WM21 last year. Price was reasonable. I still have the original (new) pin somewhere...

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

Hi
Well - I received better news on the taper
The engineer recovered the flywheel & placed the new big end assy I bought last year into it

I am collecting these tomorrow from him & will ask while there what the issue was & how he over came it

Happy days - I now have 3 built cranks with new big ends & balanced going back to Irl

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1