Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pannier frame and racks, fitment issue.

PS. seeing the sidecar lug. Is that an ex RAF bike? or at least the rear frame section? Interesting! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You are missing a piece of mudguard too! It looks someone has cut it away.

Regards,
Bastiaan

Inkedpannier-1-LI

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

This bike was restored around 20 years ago by the previous owner. Very bad I must say. Everything was painted with a brush, under this layer of paint I came across an old layer of service brown. Remnants of this color was on all parts. I don't know if the rear frame belongs to the front frame. I didn't know that a sidecar could be mounted on the rear frame.

All the parts I have were with the bike. So I don't know if there are any Indian made parts. I have replaced the lugs to which the panniers are mounted, so there are no holes in them yet.

The story goes that this BSA was left behind in the Netherlands after the war. But I have no proof of this.

The lower mounting tubes do indeed run uphill. If I put this right, the panniers are too short. They will then no longer reach the top of the pannier frame. The length of the panniers is 36.5cm or just over 14 inches.

pannier-3

email (option): gubbels943@hotmail.com

Bastiaan
You are missing a piece of mudguard too! It looks someone has cut it away.

Regards,
Bastiaan

\
Yes correct! In the future I will replace the fender. First get the bike on the road.

Ok, I understand. I can say, based on experience, that replacing a mudguard from a fully build up BSA is a lot of effort. You have to remove basically the whole rear part of the bike and then you will have to go to the struggle of badly fitting parts again. It safes a lot of time and effort to use a proper rear mudguard at once.

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

The rear carrier doesn't appear to have the curved rear seat mount on the top.

Is it a replica rear carrier made to the wrong dimensions, what length are all the stays?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Yes Rob, I said that about the saddle bracket in my first post.

The support tubes don't necessarily have to be parallel to the ground, but they must be parallel to the carrier. I have a friends M20 here in the workshop with no bags on, and my own bike. I'll take a couple of comparison measurement from the ground later. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I would say it should all be parallel to the ground...Rack (upper rail), lower mudguard stays, pannier support tubes, bag carriers and bags...It could be made to fit at an angle but would look rather odd IMO and wouldn't be correct....

One mudguard stay is vertical, one at an angle and the lower one horizontal. That is common to many BSA rigid models....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Bastiaan
Ok, I understand. I can say, based on experience, that replacing a mudguard from a fully build up BSA is a lot of effort. You have to remove basically the whole rear part of the bike and then you will have to go to the struggle of badly fitting parts again. It safes a lot of time and effort to use a proper rear mudguard at once.

Bastiaan
Next year I have 3 months of winter to replace the fender.

If the temperature is around 18 degrees, then the plan is to drive to work with this BSA every day.

I've done the same for the past 2 years with my DKW from 1936. Every winter I strip the complete bike and check/repair/clean everything. I like working on these old bikes even more than riding them.

Ron Pier
Yes Rob, I said that about the saddle bracket in my first post.

The support tubes don't necessarily have to be parallel to the ground, but they must be parallel to the carrier. I have a friends M20 here in the workshop with no bags on, and my own bike. I'll take a couple of comparison measurement from the ground later. Ron

The seat support has been removed by the previous owner. The old welds were still visible.
The plan was to make this saddle support myself on a later date.
When I bought the bike the panniers were mounted with, I think, homemade lower brackets. I have now bought the original and therefore have a problem.

I took some measurements. I just can't measure from the ground, the wheels are not ready yet and the bike is on a jack.

pannier-maten

The bottom tubes are definitely cheap replicas, the lip at the front should be bent downwards. With this straight lip they will never fit "comfortably". The 3 brackets on either side to support the pannier frames should also be longer on one side than on the other side. They are often identical left and right (which is wrong) on these Indian replicas. The pannier frames are also cheap replicas. And for as far as I can see it, so is the lifting stay. The lifting stay and the horizontal mudguard stays should be asymmetrical: one side is 1/8 longer than the other side. This chap (see picture below) on FB was complaining that nothing seemed to fit. Everybody told him that this was "normal", "war finish" etc. Nonsense of course, he had fitted the asymmetrical components the wrong way round... Fitting a symmetrical lifting stay and symmetrical horizontal stays will give the same problem, albeit a bit less dramatic. I suspect that there are more incorrect parts in this assembly... The center distance on the vertical stays should be 287mm, not 325...

118932714-10223365267217313-9115294475059669392-n

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Yes, the ends of the frame are unevenly spaced from the centreline of the bike (looking down on it) to allow for the extra width of the brake drum etc. and the stays are made to accommodate this...The picture below, although of the earlier bike, shows how the upright and lower stays are vertical and horizontal respectively...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Jan
The bottom tubes are definitely cheap replicas, the lip at the front should be bent downwards. With this straight lip they will never fit \"comfortably\". The 3 brackets on either side to support the pannier frames should also be longer on one side than on the other side. They are often identical left and right (which is wrong) on these Indian replicas. The pannier frames are also cheap replicas. And for as far as I can see it, so is the lifting stay. The lifting stay and the horizontal mudguard stays should be asymmetrical: one side is 1/8 longer than the other side. This chap (see picture below) on FB was complaining that nothing seemed to fit. Everybody told him that this was \"normal\", \"war finish\" etc. Nonsense of course, he had fitted the asymmetrical components the wrong way round... Fitting a symmetrical lifting stay and symmetrical horizontal stays will give the same problem, albeit a bit less dramatic. I suspect that there are more incorrect parts in this assembly... The center distance on the vertical stays should be 287mm, not 325...

\
Thanks everyone for the help! It was as Jan describes.
I took out the vertical stays, turned the lifting stay around and everything fits perfect.
The support brackets for the panniers are from draganfly and are indeed different in length.

Now I just need the shorten the vertical stays.

pannier-4

Nieuwe pagina 1