Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nice restoration video

I've often thought I'd enjoy restoring a Russian outfit, as I particularly like the earlier side valve version...However, owning an OHV one about 30 years ago put me off Russian engineering for life and also ensured I'll never fly with Aeroflot..:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I've often thought I'd enjoy restoring a Russian outfit, as I particularly like the earlier side valve version...However, owning an OHV one about 30 years ago put me off Russian engineering for life and also ensured I'll never fly with Aeroflot..:laughing: ...Ian
I’m also a fan of the Russian side valves, but have heard enough of them to know that it is probably better to just admire them from a distance.

A friend of mine replaced a worn out Dnepr OHV- engine with at VW-engine. Quite the torquey tourer! And a funny feeling to kick-start a 1200cc flat four.

/Simon

A bloke in our club has a Chinese side valve outfit. He likes it & has no complaints.
The current generation of Urals has a minor but keen following in Oz. Some hammer the things on outback expeditions.

['A friend of mine replaced a worn out Dnepr OHV- engine with at VW-engine. Quite the torquey tourer! And a funny feeling to kick-start a 1200cc flat four. ']

I like that idea being a beetle enthusiast...BMW and Citroen engines are also used to replace the original power plants, though I do wonder if a more reliable but more powerful engine would just move the problems to the transmission...

I decided in the end (after the crank snapped) that I'd get better reliability from a 70 year old BSA outfit. That reverse gear is a great feature on a heavy outfit though!!...Ian

Sidevalve K750 and M72 engines are very reliable when restored properly. Only bit worse than BMW. M72 is exact copy of R71 and K750 is close to it. Ural is 650 OHV version of the M72 and Dnepr is original soviet design. Stay away of it if possible.

I believe even Harley Davidson once made a copy off this side valve twin, the XA.
And I must say I like these twins with their rather rough looks, although I am more a britbiker myself.

I have a theory that anyone who copies a BMW makes a worse bike...:laughing: The assorted Russian and Chinese BMW clones and the XA, which was inspired by the BMW but had some very crude design features, seem to confirm that...Ian

Ian Wright
I have a theory that anyone who copies a BMW makes a worse bike...:laughing: The assorted Russian and Chinese BMW clones and the XA, which was inspired by the BMW but had some very crude design features, seem to confirm that...Ian
Good point indeed Ian.

/s

Here is one of four Harley XA's that went through my hands. I only had a hand in their restoration. One of the main parts was finding a firm in Hull who could make new big end cage and rollers to replace the poor design of the knackered originals.

At least these had a four speed foot change and handlebar clutch, but I don't really want to see any more of them. Ron

G-1477

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Well that certainly looks nice enough Ron!

/Simon

Cheers Simon. I imported the first "barn find" from Spokane, USA and it snowballed into about 8/9 of them mostly from USA. I only handled four of them, the last two I sold to a well known wealthy collector as basket cases who already owned 2 or 3 of the restored XA's. Some people are just plain greedy. :yum: Ron

XA-028
XA-022
XA-042

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1