The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dutch Army BSA WM21 restoration

Bastiaan
I have just started my WM21 for the first time, it went quiet ok. I had to adjust the carb and then it started on the 2nd kick. Hereby a few photos of the result.

An absolutely splendid effort - very well done indeed. One small point I would appreciate your confirmation on relates the the speedo drive which I would have expected to have been through the front wheel brake plate whereas on your bike it is taken from the other side. Thanks.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Hi Bastiaan,

Yes, please keep us updated with many pictures please! Very interesting...

Cheers,

Sven

Keith,

The location of the speedo drive on BSA's changed in September 1939 with the introduction of the 'W' series (sometimes refered to as the '1940 model). The 'K' model (1939) had the speedo drive on the right side through the brake plate. Approx 370 KM21's were delivered to the Dutch Army till September 1939, these had the speedo drive in the front brake plate.

All WM21's delivered from the 1st of September 1939 did have the speedo drive on the left side. My WM21 is delivered to the Dutch Army in March 1940 and would have had the speedo drive on the left side.

Hereby a photo of some WM21's in use by the Dutch Army. The speedo drive cables are visible, these are located on the left side.

Dutch-BSA-s

free file upload site

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Thank you for sharing that Bastiaan, the front of the cover is interesting it says "Model 1939 M21", there are few references in the BSA KM ledgers for "M39-20" which may have a connection?

Rob

m39-20

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

I never noticed that in the ledgers.

In total 10x BSA M20 were delivered to the Dutch Army, 7 of them were with handgear change and in 'army green' as mentioned in the ledgers. I expect that the other 3 were also with handgear change and in army green but it's not specified in the ledgers.

4 of those M20's were delivered to the Corps of Motorcycle Service (Korps Motor Dienst), these all had handgear change
1 of those was delivered to a unit/department which was abbreviated as 'A.M.A.' I have no clue yet which unit/department this was

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1