Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dutch Army BSA WM21 restoration

I have just started my WM21 for the first time, it went quiet ok. I had to adjust the carb and then it started on the 2nd kick. Hereby a few photos of the result.

IMG-1366

IMG-1367

IMG-1368

IMG-1370

IMG-1373

IMG-1374

IMG-1381

IMG-1382

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Hi Bastiaan,

Yes, please keep us updated with many pictures please! Very interesting...

Cheers,

Sven

That's really special, Bastiaan..It's going to attract a lot of positive attention in The Netherlands...All traces of the Moffen removed ! :sunglasses:

It's looking very nice...I'm rather surprised the Dutch Army didn't go with a foot change gearbox as they specified so many unusual parts for their use... Also, one small point, why did you choose not to refinish the dynamo body?...I believe they were dull nickel plated originally...
Lastly, did you find any information on the rubber mounted rear brake drum on Kalles friends bike?...I've never seen that before....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you for the compliments!

I have kept the dynamo body in the condition as how I have found it. I wasn't sure what the original plating was, I thought it was cadmium. The dynamo is fully checked iot make sure it functions as it should be. All electrics function, including the original panel light.

The rubber mounted rear brake drum is not something which was standard for Dutch Army WM21's, I have a full list of all specific parts which were ordered by the Dutch Army. Rubber mounted rear brake drums are not on that list. I expect that the WM21 of Kalle's friend was taken with the German forces to Eastern Europe (as many Dutch Army WM21's ended up there). Possibly the Germans altered the rear brake drum.

A year ago I was able to find and buy a second Dutch Army M21, with matching numbers from the 1st contract to the Dutch Army. I hoped to find the original Dutch Army military number on the fueltank but unfortunately the paint was removed in that area. I found that KM21 in the Czech Republic, in the end I sold that bike and it's now being restored in the Netherlands. This bike didn't have the rubber mounted rear brake drum as well.

There are about 3 original Dutch Army M21's in the Netherlands now.

Hereby a few photos of that KM21 before restoration.

IMG-0501

IMG-0504

IMG-0507

IMG-0511

IMG-0520

IMG-0525

IMG-0526

IMG-0531

IMG-0538

Great job Bastiaan !

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Bellissimo! Fantastic Bastiaan, well done!

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Its a magnificent job Bastiaan.

The shape of the petrol tank more resembles the later war British Army type, is it the same outer pressing?

And is there a Dutch contract handbook and spare parts list either printed by BSA or your government?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Well done,that looks amazing Baastian. You'll have to get used to hand change now.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

The shape of the fueltank looks indeed very much the same as the later fueltank. I will compare them to see if it's the same pressing.

BSA did make an instruction book for the Dutch Army M21 and G14 motorcycle's. I have the instruction book for the M21, see photo's below. Nice detail on the one I have is that it was in the possession of the "Chief of the workshop Staff Sergeant G. van Rees". I am not sure if a specific Dutch/M21 partslist was printed, I know for sure the Dutch Army ordered individual parts based on the 1938 partslist. In a document I found in the Dutch National Archive the Army is requesting the BSA factory to send a 1939 partslist, request is dated 31 March 1939.

The Dutch Army had a small amount of M21 and G14 spare parts in stock. The parts were stocked in Delft, very near to a large workshop of the Army. These parts were provided on consignment by the BSA company, every year the Dutch Army would pay a certain amount of interest and paid for every part which was taken from the stock. After the Netherlands was occupied, this stock was 'übernommen bei Wehrmacht" as it was stated in the administration. The workshop in Delft remained in service during the occupation with a part of the Dutch civilian personnel, complemented with German personnel. See photos below of that workshop, a G14 is on the bench and the other is taken in front of the workshop.

20220105-093845

20220105-093903

20220105-094045

91d178faa412e60b2d62b420db950b8b17b18e8407f0b91b7c2188a8b22d4c3c

2157-035115-1

Bastiaan
I have just started my WM21 for the first time, it went quiet ok. I had to adjust the carb and then it started on the 2nd kick. Hereby a few photos of the result.

An absolutely splendid effort - very well done indeed. One small point I would appreciate your confirmation on relates the the speedo drive which I would have expected to have been through the front wheel brake plate whereas on your bike it is taken from the other side. Thanks.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Keith,

The location of the speedo drive on BSA's changed in September 1939 with the introduction of the 'W' series (sometimes refered to as the '1940 model). The 'K' model (1939) had the speedo drive on the right side through the brake plate. Approx 370 KM21's were delivered to the Dutch Army till September 1939, these had the speedo drive in the front brake plate.

All WM21's delivered from the 1st of September 1939 did have the speedo drive on the left side. My WM21 is delivered to the Dutch Army in March 1940 and would have had the speedo drive on the left side.

Hereby a photo of some WM21's in use by the Dutch Army. The speedo drive cables are visible, these are located on the left side.

Dutch-BSA-s

free file upload site

Thank you for sharing that Bastiaan, the front of the cover is interesting it says "Model 1939 M21", there are few references in the BSA KM ledgers for "M39-20" which may have a connection?

Rob

m39-20

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

I never noticed that in the ledgers.

In total 10x BSA M20 were delivered to the Dutch Army, 7 of them were with handgear change and in 'army green' as mentioned in the ledgers. I expect that the other 3 were also with handgear change and in army green but it's not specified in the ledgers.

4 of those M20's were delivered to the Corps of Motorcycle Service (Korps Motor Dienst), these all had handgear change
1 of those was delivered to a unit/department which was abbreviated as 'A.M.A.' I have no clue yet which unit/department this was

Regards,
Bastiaan

Nieuwe pagina 1