Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1939 Norton big 4

Very nice bike to start with! just two observations, there was one bike, the 1940/41 Matchless G3WO, that had a trip in the (pin drive) speedo in the early contracts, then the cable, late Matchless G3WO's, the last contracts for 1941, also had the newer types of speedo, not saying Norton did the same, checking the parts lists might help here.

This is not the first Big 4 that was found in Ireland, but that one is in Holland now, all restored.

Let me know Gary, if you need more info, I have pictures and info on most of the parts, I own 2 of them.

One of them is fully restored, here a picture some years ago, in Ireland!

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Hi Rob I emailed you some pics there ,I can't upload them to this forum for some reason tks.Gary

email (option): Shamrockwindows@hotmail.com

Norton parts lists, as usual follow a little behind..On the 16H, they show the change as between contracts C9062 and C10217 but in fact, period photos suggest that it occurred a little earlier - in the forst half of 1941, under contracts C7353 and C7576..Big 4s from around S3000 ought to have had the later type S433B speedo and cable.

The fact that these few Irish machines were delivered from British contracts would suggest that they initially had non-illuminated, non-trip units...Do we know what the pre-war Irish M20s had ? If they had trips then this is probably where they came from.

Hi Rik
There is no evidence yet to indicate that bsa K series or any of the early bsa W models supplied in 39 or 40 to the iDF had trip option speedometers fitted
Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for your help Lex.

There's a couple of Norton big 4 sidecar chassis on ebay, they're located in Germany.

Yes, that is Thomas in Germany, I bought several Big 4's from him, for friends, only the one in the first link is a real Big 4 chassis.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Lex .

Thanks Ron .

Nieuwe pagina 1