can someone confirm whether these gears are in fact the same part
Both are 25T, with 9 engaging dogs & share the same shaft bush 66-3214

I cannot visually determine a difference here with them in front of me
Someone wise here will know I’m sure
Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Layshaft 2nd gear & mainshaft 3rd gear - 66-3215 / 66-3212

John, Les and Drags supply these as one and the same and I have used them as such. But from memory, one of them has some oil holes that the other doesn't. I think I have some originals and will check them out tomorrow. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The oil holes are the difference and the gears are not interchangeable because of it...The one with the oil holes (66-3215) fits on the (solid) lay shaft, the one without holes (66-3212) fits on the main shaft which is drilled through for lubrication of the bush...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hmmm! I've rebuilt two boxes for mates with the identical gears and assumed that as there is so much oil being pumped round by the gears that everything will be well lubricated. Both boxes are running fine so far, but something to address next time. Ron

I've seen them mixed up but I wouldn't build one like that, why would you?....They don't seize but the effect on wear rates is less clear...Fortunately these crude but over engineered boxes still tend to work after a fashion even in a fairly worn state ...:relaxed: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well I used the identical gears at the time because it's all that was available NOS when I needed them. If I ever see the one with oil holes NOS, I'll be sure to buy one or two. Ron

Thanks chaps

I will recheck mine here tomorrow
I bought my gears from outside U.K. based on the part numbers which are now it seems the same part supplied

I’ll dig out some 2nd hand gears I have to see the differences
I had hoped an all new gear - gearbox was possible but I might need to revisit that concept if I don’t have the correct ones
Br
Job

Hi
Lucky me
I found 2 x nos oil hole gears
I can move forward now
Good pointer chaps - it’s no highlighted anywhere I can see - just a part number difference
Br
Job

Nieuwe pagina 1