Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jiffy side stand

I've been working on fitting my Jiffy stand over the last couple of days. Thanks to Rob Miller for the loan of his to get a few cast (all gone) and some pictures via Rob and Henk. I have no measurements, so have made it up the best I can by trial and error.

Although I'll be able to work something out, I wondered if anyone has any clues as to how the stops are for the stand in the up and down positions? Cheers Ron

DSCF4216
DSCF4219
DSCF4220
DSCF4222

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Jiffy side stand

Some more fiddling today. In between answering the phone and entertaining mates with Tea and Rocky Biscuits. Drilled and tapped the pivot bolt for a grease nipple and cross drilled it. The next session, I'll work out the best position for the leg to stop at when it's down. Then lower the bike down onto it's tyre to see if it works. Before final fettling, stripping and painting. Ron

DSCF4227

It took a fair bit of experimentation to get everything right when I fitted a side stand to my rigid B33...The correct raised and lowered 'stop' positions, the right tension on the spring, both in the raised and lowered position and as it moved through its arc of movement..Also, crucially, the right angle and length so the bike is stable under all conditions when on the stand...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian. I don't think the BSA jiffy stand could be considered "stable at all times". It's a poor design to my mind. Not the sort of thing you'd park and walk away. But as long as it does what I want when I need it, I'll be happy.

I fitted one similar to yours on my Indian/M20 and it works a treat.:+1: Ron

Here is another take on a side stand, sidecar rear frame only. Its a simple bracket from the side car lug casting hole to the brake pedal pivot point. You can then bolt a Suzuki side stand to this bracket without any alteration to the frame or the stand. These stands complete with flat fixing bracket and return springs are common on eBay for about a tenner. Bike is my 1946 M33 makes it so much easier at fuel stations and short stops, very stable too but not for the rivet counter.IMG-9551
IMG-9552

Well I'm pleased with the result so far. It works perfectly on the level floor of the workshop. Ron

DSCF4232
DSCF4234
DSCF4235

Nice one Ron, that looks ace and very usable. If it's going to save a bad back then it's well worth the effort.

Very neat, so what does the inner stop look like?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Cheers Tim/Rob. I just clamped a small block in front of the leg in the down position with thin point Mole Grips at what looked like the right position, then back on the bench I just welded it in that position. I decided I could alter the angle by welding a bit more or grinding some away, but it seems OK where it is...... I've No idea what should be there of course. Ron

Incidentally, The hex on the pivot pin for the brake pedal is another one of those 25/32" (20mm) sizes. Ron

Ian
did you perhaps make any drawings of the side stand for the B33 , dimensions and angles ?
thanks
lee

email (option): lee.carter@suez.com

Nieuwe pagina 1