Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD M.20 Toolbox Covers

I note that there appears to be two different types of securing the WD M.20 toolbox covers. All the ones I have seen appear to be the later type being wing type with 2 spheres separated by a bar. I note that this type was also used on late versions of the W/NG.

I am looking for an early version for my 1940 M.20 and from what I can tell this is possibly circular with a slot to enable turning and locking.

I am sure someone will have looked into this at some time and I would appreciate some guidance as to the types and related details. Thanks.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Re: WD M.20 Toolbox Covers

Hi Keith

I think there are four types and we have discussed them on here before

1.Pre war civilian disc type with slot for large screwdriver or coin

2.Lock and key type, with two small rivets one each side of the key hole

3.later round convex pressed type which you can undo with your fingers, also used on Royal Enfields?

4.Toggle bar type designed so the weight on the end of the bar won't let it undo itself in transit

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The slotted type was used post war as well...Jan made some of the pressed type, I had one from him for my B30...The toggle wins hands down for practicality as it can come loose but doesn't fall out and can easily be operated without tools...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob Miller
Hi Keith

I think there are four types and we have discussed them on here before

1.Pre war civilian disc type with slot for large screwdriver or coin

2.Lock and key type, with two small rivets one each side of the key hole

3.later round convex pressed type which you can undo with your fingers, also used on Royal Enfields?

4.Toggle bar type designed so the weight on the end of the bar won't let it undo itself in transit

Rob
I think that there are even 5 different types. There is also a type with a large round nut, it looks very much the same as the pre war civilian type but it's different.

IMG-20211227-WA0005

IMG-20211227-WA0006

IMG-20211227-WA0007

Screenshot-20211124-132529-Chrome

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Did these early boxes have the securing strap / wire

Any idea of time introduction?

I have an original lock type - no wire & no book holder

I have seen these on km & early w models with mt1130 rear lights

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com