Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting find of the month...

Not something you see every day...This is a BSA tool for making/checking clutch pushrods...The different models, pushrod lengths and part numbers are marked on the plate and the end is turned up so a length of silver steel can be rested against that as a 'stop'...The two ends are turned the opposite way as both sides of the plate can be used....This came from a garage clearance...Judging from the models shown which lack any unit construction models apart from the Bantam and C15 and the 'screen print on alloy' method of production I'd think it's an early sixties but pre 1964 item...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Interesting find of the month...

Now that’s a very nice to have tool / part

Lucky you
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Ian which is the bit to use when you leave two plates out of the stack? :smiling_imp: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Might it not be something from a Spares counter ? To avoid the sort of conversations that we've all heard..

"Ave yer got wunner theez ?"

"Wot's it orf ?"

"Dunno. Mate says it's a Beezer"

['Ian which is the bit to use when you leave two plates out of the stack?...']..

You need the Special Forces gauge for that...

Rik...That's a possibility I'd imagine, though most BSA owners don't talk like that, have a part number and specification to hand and are thoroughly conversant with the subject...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ...Ian

Ian - You ain't frum Sarf Lunnen en ain't not never stood in Eeelites on a Satterdy mornin'

They may well have been Triumph owners building Tribsas, of course ! :smiley:

I once worked in the spares department at George Clarke's. We dealt in Panther spares, we used to have people come in with all manner of strange things for other makes. They looked surprised when you told them that we only sold Panther parts and yes many of them spoke in a South London accent much like wot I do, even though I left the smoke nearly 50 years ago.

Old shops I visited at different times in the Smoke were Russell Motors, Gander and Gray, Elite Motors, Owen Brothers and the original Lewis Leathers in Great Portland Street...
I usually made time when I went to London to the Motorcycle Show, when it took place at the Royal Horticultural Halls...It all seems a long time ago now!!...Sadly I didn't hang on to my Lewis Leathers 'made to measure 'Lightning Jacket' and sheepskin lined 'Motorway Boots'...:laughing: ...Ian

I still have my dark blue 'Super Monza' jacket - my preferred boots were Godfrey's 'Gold-Top' I still have a couple of pairs. The jacket seems to have shrunk around the waist though. :thinking_face:

referring to the above spares conversations; you lot are lucky I am not about to relate my experiences selling spares for brit bikes in the 1970s/80s.
Some of the types I used to deal with drove me to the very edge of my tolerance and sanity to the extent one day I shut up shop and flogged the lot off.

You'd only accuse me of making it up anyway.

I'd believe you...I worked in a bike shop as well running my own thing for 17 years...You meet all sorts and much as I'm a fan of variety and eccentricity it can be 'challenging' sometimes!...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1