Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 frame/serial number

Hi,
I have just purchased a BSA M20 in Italy from an ARAR camp in Florence, it was civilized in 1947 and has undergone cosmetic changes over time, both the coloring and some parts of the motorbike (saddle, handlebars, number plate holder). I would like to know what year it was built and where I can find the missing parts.

Chassis number 664037
Engine number WM20 50102

Thank you for your help.

email (option): cosimomelani@hotmail.com

Re: BSA M20 frame/serial number

Your chassis number is a BSA part number 66-4037, where is it stamped on the frame?

There are a couple of machines listed in the post war key cards with this recorded as the chassis number so this could be a useful bit of information.

Can we see some pictures please.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi,
the serial number is printed on the frame tube under the seat. The bike was registered in Italy (papers and plates) in 1947.
Sorry how can I insert photos in the post?

Tks!

You have to use an external picture hosting site and then copy and past the "html" code here into your reply, this one is pretty good.

https://imgbb.com/

Or you can email me the pictures and I will post them.

Rob

Hi,
I sent the photos to your email.

TKS

BSA-M20-R

BSA-M20-L

BSA-M20-11

BSA-M20-SERIAL-NUMBER-FRAME

BSA-M20-NUMBER-ARAR

BSA-M20-REAR

I guess that is the casting part number. I've looked for it on mine but can't see it under the paint so far. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The engine number WM20-50102 fits the C/9310 contract plate.

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Part number 66-4037 is listed in the mid and later war contract spare parts lists including C9310.

66-4037 Frame complete, comprising frame front, chainstays and backstays, and engine plates with bolts and nuts.

Can you confirm there is no sign of a number on the usual place on the front down tube, possibly some flattening where a number could have been removed?

The fact that there are several listed in the post war key cards with this as its chassis number may mean that sometimes when a new frame was fitted it wasn't re stamped, the number on the engine and the serial on the tank being enough to identify the machine?

Rob

Rob, I have one of those spare frames NOS and it is stamped with the part number 66-4037 in the same location.
The front down tube is bare of course.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Nice one Ray, I see the machine in the earlier post has the braised on lug for the short prop stand on the rear frame section, does yours?

Rob

Rob, yes - sidestand lug and rear footpeg lugs. It does not have any of the studs fitted for oil tank/battery bracket, rear guard stays or steering damper.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Hi Jan,
can you tell from the number on the plate what year the motorbike was built, or what period it was used?
Which British army corps does the plaque refer to? As mentioned above, the motorbike was purchased at the ARAR camp in Florence, I imagine as soon as the war ended. Knowing the period is important to me for the purchase of spare parts.
For example, which licence plate holder should I buy? In the various specialized sites I have seen several different types.

Thank you for your support.

Cosimo

Nieuwe pagina 1