Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TRIUMPH 3HW North of Udine.

RASC 549 Company HQ north of Udine.A town in north eastern Italy.

L to R. CPL Bradley,CQMS Stanger,LT Peter Eskell.

Re: TRIUMPH 3HW North of Udine.

Do you have a date, Steve ? How long did blackout regs apply in Italy ?

Hi Rik, I think the photo was taken in early May 1945 near the wars end in Italy or just after, 549 company later moved into Austria and were disbanded there shortly after the war in Europe ended.

KD shorts in Austria would probably have been pushing it a bit...My impression is that they dressed smartly and put on a swagger in Austria not least to show them that they'd lost...I suspect that you're correct about Italy...When did the Luftwaffe cease to be a threat there ?

It's nice to have names for these guys. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Black headlamp rim?

I do like those Firestone tyres.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rik, there's some pictures of them in Austria with the KD shorts, the photos from an album of over 200 photos and postcards from member of 549 company RASC, he starts off in Italy in 43,then ends up in Austria in 45, then home to Birmingham via Road train and ferry, will show a few more photos later if you're interested.

Rob Miller
Black headlamp rim?

I do like those Firestone tyres.

Rob
I have a couple of those Firestone tyres and in fact had them on my M.20 which I restored in 1972/ 73. I recall that stamped on the side of those tyres was 'Gum Dipped' whatever that meant.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Fantastic Steve, I love it when someone takes care of there WW2 (holiday snaps) I have a small collection, but loose and and random.
It's very hard to make sense of them.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I went through a pile of random hand written anecdotes and photos for a friends family, to try and make some sense of it...He was a DR who started in North Africa, went through Italy and also ended the war in Austria...

He was a keen bike man all his life and apparently enjoyed much of his time in the Army 'riding about at the governments expense in exotic locations'...I rode my M20 with all the kit and black ribbons at the head his funeral cortege...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1