Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930 AJS

Is there a difference between a WM3 19 inches front wheel for 350cc and 500cc machines?

I thought there wasn’t.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: 1930 AJS

I'm not sure what you are asking Henri. But as far as I'm aware, a WM3 rim is a WM3 rim, whatever bike it's fitted to. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If the hub is different, full width, half width then the angles the spoke holes are drilled may be different, I'm not sure if that's also the case with different size hubs, 5inch, 7inch for example?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Yes of course, I was only referring to the rim. The 1940 parts lists states different forks for the 350 and 500 models. Sorry Henri.

Ron

Funny thing is that I do have the light set of girders as well.

Only problem would be to retrofit the rest.

Come to think of it, I also have a 38/16 engine complete.

Slippery slope here

First, all WM3 rime are the same width regardless of what bike it is on.

Now for you question, I have a 1929 AJS and looking at the parts list it shows some 350 and 500 machines having 20 inch WM3 rims and some 19 inch WM3 rims. It depends if your bike is a side valve, overhead valve or overhead cam. I don't have a 1930 parts list but I would assume much is the same?

As for your 1938 model 16 engine, I doubt it will fit the 1930 frame. AJS went out of business in 1931. After that other than the overhead cam bikes, all AJS's are a Matchless with different tank badges.

Thank you for the details.

I purchased that wheel and will be better able to study it when it gets here.

On the 38/16 I have several spare gl3 frames and once I get the parts list for it, will also compare.

Although this AJS is ex British military from the Middle East it may not qualify for this forum.

Regret any inconvenience

Personally I think it does qualify Henri. Ron

I think it qualifies too, but you should probably remind the forum members of its military heritage when you ask a question so it doesn't encourage non acceptable posting, what ever that actually means in a forum with no written rules.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1