Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture

The current forum picture is one of my favourites. Some of the BEF lads who made it back home, and a "civilian impressed" Triumph. Look how the khaki paint is peeling off the chrome exhaust pipe and the polished timing cover. The censor has removed the markings on the tank and on the front mudguard (you can still see how he scribbled with his pen to remove this information). But I have a feeling that I can still read "...SC" on the tank as well, or are my eyes deceiving me? Must have been "RASC"...?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Re: Forum picture

I've often wondered about this picture...Although captioned as returning troops if they are they've managed to end up getting out fully equipped and they look very happy, despite their recent comprehensive defeat...It looks more to me like troops about to embark, even if that isn't the case...
They certainly don't fit the description of returning troops as detailed by my mother who remembered seeing them on the convoys stuck in the middle of Northampton as they took them up north...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I believe that it's 2nd BEF back from a week in Normandy via Cherbourg, hence the re-embarked vehicles. There could well be some Lines of Communication stragglers in there too.

Many of those who came back via Operation Aerial had not seen any fighting.

I agree, Jan.

That looks very like an RASC that has been painted over on the tank. A fascinating picture - the rifles all seem to be the Lee Enfield No 3 mk 1, which would have been fine, but certainly not the modern No 4 rifle. I'm sure others (more expert than I am) will find other good details. I'm intrigued by that strange 'T' shape on the tool box....

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Looks as if the censor also scribbled on the headlight. I wonder why...

Also noticed the T shape on the toolbox. Thought it was the shadow of the kickstarter... But when I look again, I think I'm wrong. No idea what it could be...

Fascinating isn't it!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1