Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1941 WD G3L Fork Yoke Question

Can someone advise what the part name/number of this part is and how to remove it?

It's been chromed and I need to remove it to get it de-chromed.

Cheers

Al Mills

Re: 1941 WD G3L Fork Yoke Question

It's fork top spring tube cap 40-G12-FF186. It's a loose part and should be quite simple to remove with a few taps and maybe a screwdriver/lever......After the forks are stripped down of course. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
It's fork top spring tube cap 40-G12-FF186. It's a loose part and should be quite simple to remove with a few taps and maybe a screwdriver/lever......After the forks are stripped down of course. Ron
Ron

I have rules for my restoration

1. Use a clean dry surface.
2. Lay out in sequence.
3. Use correct tools correctly.
4. Do NOT use force.

Thanks for that, I think Rule 4. should be interpreted in this instance as judicious application of effort. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'm always concerned I will break something especially when it won't budge. Now I know it can come off, I will attempt again tomorrow.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Al Mills

I can't remember from the last time I stripped G3L forks, but it just looks like a butted part. Ron

scan0010-2

Ron Pier
I can't remember from the last time I stripped G3L forks, but it just looks like a butted part. Ron

Ron

It is not a butted part, there is a lip.

I have a second yoke (damaged) and managed to pull one off.

As you can see there is a lip, I tried to put it back on after a clean up, but not sure how to as it took some effort to get it off in the first place and I can see no way to get it back on without risk of breaking the lip or distorting the ring.

Anyone done this and can offer some advice?

Cheers

Al Mills

Well I would say, that if it came off, it must go back on again. As an interference fit, it will have to go on straight and not tipped. Maybe even relieve it a bit with a rats tail file......It doesn't look like "Rocket Surgery"!!! Ron

Ron Pier
Well I would say, that if it came off, it must go back on again. As an interference fit, it will have to go on straight and not tipped. Maybe even relieve it a bit with a rats tail file......It doesn't look like "Rocket Surgery"!!! Ron
Ron

I'll get another photo that shows it better, but the lip is a thin edge and a recess below, it is not a solid edge. I am concerned that pushing it over the lip will break or fold the lip.

I'll get a photo on Monday and show you.

Cheers

Al

there a bit fiddly, I normally use a flat tipped punch and lightly tap around the edge until it’s home, if you try a press or clamp it in a vise Itl squash it

Barry

Barry fuller
there a bit fiddly, I normally use a flat tipped punch and lightly tap around the edge until it’s home, if you try a press or clamp it in a vise Itl squash it

Barry
Barry

Thanks for that, I was going to use the shop press, but glad I didn't. I'll try your method. Thanks

Al

Personally I don't think these come off, they are crimped on at the factory, but will check later today.

Cheers,

Lex

Lex Schmidt
Personally I don't think these come off, they are crimped on at the factory, but will check later today.

Cheers,

Lex
Lex

The fork crown does not appear to have anything attached.

Al

Yes, they do come off apparently, but I see a bit of peening, that was used to hold them on.

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1