Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 rims

Hi baz
Only on sidecar contracts it seems
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

This same question was posed a week or so ago. As Jobby says, only on RAF sidecar outfits which were fitted with 400x18 tyres. Ron

BSA-IWM

image to url

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Has anyone used Hann Wheels for M20 rims and spokes?

https://www.haanwheels.com/classic-vintage-wheels/classic-vintage-rims-steel/

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The best steel rims I've had (chrome, stainless or raw) which I use on every project that requires them are from The Devon Rim Company...His spoke sets are very good quality as well...No bargain basement prices though...

For alloy rims I use Morad (the old Akront) but I'm looking to change to something of a higher quality for my current project...40 holes, a knowledge of the dimple formats for old bikes and the general rim form can be problematical there though...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I just looked at Hanns website....Personally I don't rate Radielli rims at all from past experience...Hann don't actually say where they source the other steel rims they use and that is the thing you need to know really...

Rims I had from Central Wheel Company a number of years ago had such a pronounced 'kick' at the welded joint I did one Normandy tour with them on the M20 and then cut them off and scrapped them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Would you believe it was me that posted about rims about a week ago!
Oh well, looks like it has started.

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

I would also vouch for Devon Rims (Sean and Siobhan... must be an Irish influence!) I ordered chrome rims and stainless spokes for my Indian engined M20. Their questionnaire regarding hub types was thorough beyond normal, but based purely on supplying rims with the exact correct dimple and spoke angles.

I've done around 7,000 miles with them over a few years without any problems and the chrome is still perfect.

Dave (Horror) bought his Norton stainless spokes from another firm and has had several brake in a short time. I think I'm correct that 4 broke in his rear wheel (two up) in one weekend. Ron
Indian-S-166

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ian Wright
I just looked at Hanns website....Personally I don't rate Radielli rims at all from past experience...Hann don't actually say where they source the other steel rims they use and that is the thing you need to know really...

Rims I had from Central Wheel Company a number of years ago had such a pronounced 'kick' at the welded joint I did one Normandy tour with them on the M20 and then cut them off and scrapped them...Ian
I've had bad experience's with central, and spent 10 years trying to resolve it. These were for our own bikes and the sizes never changed on our drawings, a shame the same could not be said for the parts. Towards the end of our time using them I found out the blank morad rims were now produced in china and dimpled in Italy. This explained why the rims seemed to be softer.

At the time I was trying to find unpierced excel rims with no joy. I was supposed to be doing a 50/50 order with devon to put a bulk order in. Nothing came of this.

The company we have been currently dealing with is Hanns. Spokes are closer to drawing than anyone else we have tried, but piercing is often in reverse. Some older wheels and the ones we make have a "drive spoke" and are sensitive to the piercing. The rims I use now for off road use are excel.

I do have a set of wheels I can use for my M20 project, but I'd like some nicer ones. Once I'm ready to play with them I'll email Arie Hann and ask after what he can offer.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1