Comment
83 TAF BSA M20.

Re: 83 TAF BSA M20.

TAF (Tactical Air Force) I stenciled it onto my RAF CO. Nice one Steve! Ron
DSCF2741
DSCF3471

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Wonderful stuff, Steve. Where did you find those ? . My dad was 11 Air Formation Signals....He was with 39 (Canadian) Reconnaissance Wing though...

Uniform-4

They had to ink out the '11' or '12' on the Air Fmn. Sigs badge prior to D-Day.

Fascinating set of pictures, it looks like a maple leaf shape in the centre of the RAF roundel's, not seen that before.

Rik, what coloured beret is your father wearing in that picture?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Am I right Rik.(memory) When I've met your Dad in Normandy, he has a black beret?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rob Miller
Fascinating set of pictures, it looks like a maple leaf shape in the centre of the RAF roundel's, not seen that before.

Rik, what coloured beret is your father wearing in that picture?

Rob
Hi Rob,
From what I understand, the maple leaf within an RAF roundel was used unofficially during WW2, and was officially adopted immediately post war.
Cheers,
Mark

Rob, the beret is a puzzle as dad doesn't recall the photo being taken...but the formation patch has the inked-out '11' that he tells me they were ordered to do just before leaving for France in June 1944... It's possible that it's a studio portrait from The Netherlands in late 1944 / early '45...I half wonder if it was a Canadian pracrice as Air Fmn. Sigs were in very small groups and adopted the practices of the units that they were attached to. It seems that most photographers had a range of head gear as I also have a photo of him wearing a coloured F.S. cap and he swears blind that he never had one....I'd like to get him in one of those again actually.

Nieuwe pagina 1