The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wheel Wobble

Hi Ian

The front wheel wobbles as though it was trying to do what is known as a tank slapper, always seemed to occur when starting off from a standing start.

Thanks for the info, have done what you suggested, re set the front tyre pressure, have jacked the front wheel up off the ground, given the head stock bearing nut a slight nip up, I backed the tank bolts off and tightened them one by one to make sure they were not catching the steering stem.

The front wheel bearings have just a discernible amount of play at the rims.

I have checked the fork link bolts, backed the nuts and bolts off and adjusted them, I have re-greased all grease points on the fork links and bearings.

Took the side damper off and checked it out.

I run the bike with Dunlop K70"s usually with about 24/25 psi in the front?

Some suggest running the front as low as 20?

Took the bike around the block and it appears to be in good order after doing what you suggested. will take it for a longer run during the week.

Thanks Ian

Re: Wheel Wobble

Ian Wright
Is it a wobble or just a difficulty in going in a straight line...?
Make sure the rear tyre isn\'t under inflated, this will affect the steering..Check front tyre pressure which should be about 28-30psi with modern tyres...Make sure the steering head bearings aren\'t set too tight...Check that the two bolts holding the front of the tank aren\'t too long and contacting the steering stem....Check the condition and setting of the front wheel bearings to make sure they don\'t have excessive play at the rim...Check the overall condition of the fork links and bushes (though they would have to be pretty bad to affect the steering)...Ian
Hi

Further to the good advice off Ian and Rick, here is some info from the Six Tasks Booklet and Drivers Handbook, it may help anyone without copies or access to the info.

once again thanks ian and Rick

John B

Six tasks

Six tasks

Task 4. 1 of 2

Task 4. 2 of 2

Nieuwe pagina 1