Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is a UK Eurojumble still possible?

Belgium had probably its first post-virus jumble today, at Wieze. A lot smaller and quieter than it used to be but there was some good WD stuff...only thing was that Lex beat me to it all....I passed on the nice 1937 WD16H engine with stamped census number..as the price was €800...

It was great to meet up with Lex, Nick, Bastiaan, Rob van den Brink, Marnic...most of them for the first time in almost two years...

As is usual with a Belgian jumble, the bars receive almost equal stand space to the traders...and I forgot to take any photos...

Ron Pier
Interesting that you brought this up Rob. I just tried to buy something on ebay that was advertised for £40.99. When I went to pay, the total was £49.19. I queried it with the seller and got this reply directly from ebay. Ron

Dear buyer,
Thanks for your message .
The extra is the tax that ebay collects not charged by our seller.
Happy New Year and hope you have a great 2021 year.
Regards,
Thanks for mentioning this, same happened to me this morning. I thought the seller was trying to pull a fast one.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I did mention ebay's new tax's in my original post, it may not be a coincidence that they appeared as the UK left the single market, isn't ebay registered in Luxembourg?

There are several large issues here which we will all have to come to terms with, quite a percentage of stalls at W&P, Netley, Beaulieu and Stafford are European so its quite possible that these events will be smaller from now on, and I imagine there will be an increase in events across Europe to compensate.

It will be interesting to see how it all settles down over time and after Covid19 of course.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

['I did mention ebay's new tax's in my original post, it may not be a coincidence that they appeared as the UK left the single market, isn't ebay registered in Luxembourg?...']

DOH!..I missed that, must have been reading it too quickly...Some clarification by e bay would be nice seeing as they're taking the money...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

[' Starting 1 January 2021, eBay is required to collect VAT on certain orders delivered to UK addresses:
•Orders up to £135 sent from outside the UK
•Orders where the item is located in the UK, but the seller is not a UK seller...']

That could be it....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I bought something from America off ebay and ebay added the customs duty when I paid. I wasn't happy about this as most small value items go through without being charged.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I've just bought something from here in the UK and no tax was added, so I was wrong its nothing to do with ebay being in Luxembourg, its just a coincidence that ebay has been made to collect revenue at this time.

Rob

living in canada 20 mins from the US border here is what i have to contend with
1. buying from the UK, i dont pay VAT, i get the seller to list on the package that it is "motorcycle parts over 25yrs" so i dont pay duty although sometimes customs charge it anyway and i have to pay it to Fedex/canada post etc then reclaim it from the govt.
tax is always due but mostly they never charge it, its up to them i guess

2. buying from e bay in the US, if i have it sent to a shipping/recieving company on their side of the border then e.bay adds the US tax, i then cross the border to pick it up and when i cross back into Canada they collect the Canadian taxes/duty if they feel like it, mostly under $200 they let it slide, depends on: how you look, how they feel, which way the wind is blowing, what their spouse did last night, etc etc. they have guns and attitudes to go along with them.

3 buying from e-bay in the US and getting it shipped to Canada, ebay does not collect the tax they leave it up to customs again, mostly they dont charge.

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Hi Kevin

Do you have Auto jumbles, vehicle shows or swap meets where traders cross the border with stalls?

Rob

Almost never, the few that there are just see Joe public going to look or buy stuff, it seems that the US customs are nice to their citizens going back with their bits but the Canadian customs not so much, most i think just want to avoid the hassle
Within a 2-3 hr drive either way i know of only 2 Cdn and 2 US yearly swap meets
i have about 30 Brit bikes and am so jealous of the whole vintage bike scene you enjoy in the UK, even the support getting rare parts made for example, it is so hard here to get a machine shop to make something for you, they only seem to want to make 900 aluminium brackets at a time, i recently found a large shop that will do anything i want and thats because the owner is from coventry and got his C&G their, of course it costs an arm and a leg, it seems that if you guys break a rocker arm on your 1914 Triumph then theres a guy in the next village that will whip one up for you lol
cheers
Kevin

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1