Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fill her up Sir?...E10 or E10...?

If my local town is anything to go by you'd better get used to living with E10 petrol...Claims E5 will remain available didn't apply in either of the two garages in my local town which now both only have E10 on the forecourt...

I enquired about the lack of supply of E5 and both garages said the cost of installing another storage tank made it impractical and they had no plans to maintain the supply...It all sounds a bit like 4 star which was also going to be supplied I recall...

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the bikes perform over time and what problems arise...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Fill her up Sir?...E10 or E10...?

Back in the 60s I often used Cleveland petrol didn't this have ethanol in it?

Cleveland blended Benzole (a coal tar derivative) to produce 'Benzine' and Alcohol with petrol at different times...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for that Ian. I knew that there were something different.

High Ethanol content here in the US seems to attack some types of synthetic rubber petrol pipes (as far as I can tell). So if you have synthetic pipes as opposed to the correct copper ones you may find bits of sludge gumming up your carburetor. Ethanol also attacks some lining material used in petrol tanks - according to anecdote. I had a lot of trouble with a 1980s Honda VF700 that had rubber pipes and a supposedly petrol proof lined fuel tank.

The worst bit I've found is that Ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere, so a container of fuel will in the space of a few weeks show a lot of water that will settle out at the bottom of the container. This will then rust your fuel tank. I've seen this very frequently. Your local parts shop will sell you various additives to counteract this (Seafoam is one).

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Here in the US we have been plagued with E10 for years. What it is absorb water right out of the air. Too much water and it Phase separates. The water/ethanol goes to the bottom of the container. You must keep E10 tightly contained. Ethanol is a marvelous solvent. It will dissolve all the crap in your tank and transport it to the carb and intake valves.
It will also dissolve fiberglass resin. One huge problem in the US was with boats. Some boats had fiberglass tanks. The resin got dissolved and then suck to the intake valves. The valves locked up causing catastrophe engine failure. In some race boats the tanks were integrated into the hull. The next thing you knew was the side or bottom of you boat delaminates with gas leaking out. Things that sit for long periods of time are effected the most, like boats, lawn mowers, small engines and electrical gas generators. As mentioned it plays havoc on some rubber parts and carbs. The mechanics/carb rebuilders love ethanol. I hate it.

Here is an experiment. Take a clear glass jar and fill it 3/4 full with E10. Now stand back and marvel as it gets cloudy. You folks in humid England are going to love this. That is E10 absorbing water out of the air.
Why E10? When the underground storage tanks leak you get gasoline and ethanol in your drinking water instead of MTBE and gasoline. Go figure!

Oh, none of the so called additives really help. None will stop phase separation or dissolving the varnish in your tank, or dissolving fiberglass resin.

Good luck

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Wow abit time consuming doing all this separation palaver and travelling long distances just to find an Esso garage that does non ethanol.

I have been running 91 UL for the last 4 years on all my classic bikes , yes it costs 25p more then the top fuel premium rubbish you get but it doesn't go off and doesn't have all the crap inside it especially ethanol. So get a 20ltr jerry can and fill up at your local airfield. Job done and relax .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Woody
Wow abit time consuming doing all this separation palaver and travelling long distances just to find an Esso garage that does non ethanol.

I have been running 91 UL for the last 4 years on all my classic bikes , yes it costs 25p more then the top fuel premium rubbish you get but it doesn't go off and doesn't have all the crap inside it especially ethanol. So get a 20ltr jerry can and fill up at your local airfield. Job done and relax .
No long runs for you then, Woody...

image00043

Most marinas sell unleaded for marine use also without ethanol.
Now where did I put those pontoons ?

E-10 doesn't seem to be much of a problem for engines that are always in use. The problems come when the bike has been standing unused for more than around 6 weeks. And the worst issue (besides fiberglass tanks melting) is how it attacks the carb. I'm as cheap as they come and I've had to toss quite a few carbs.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1