Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch wheel

Hi
Has any one here replaced or resleeved the roller bearing surface on the rear of the clutch basket
No replacement parts are shown and back in the day if they were worn I expect direct replacement was expected
However - these days it’s a bit different
Is the bearing “eye “ a press fit or is it machined in production
I have a few good clutch baskets - sprocket / chain side but would like to get these surfaces sorted before my move - some seem to have deteriorated due to non movement & dampness perhaps
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Clutch wheel

The bearing race is hardened and is pressed into the chain wheel..They would probably have been ground to size after fitting...

I think the easiest and probably cheapest solution would be to source oversize 1/4" x 1/4" rollers and then have the races honed to the new size, a pretty straight forward process....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian
Yes I had thought that if oversize rollers were available it would simplify things
I’ll start making enquiries with a bearing supplier
Br
Jo’b

Vintage Bearings at Derby keep some roller sizes in one thou oversize increments. I got some +2 thou 1/4x1/4for a Sturmey Archer clutch and they did the trick.

I wonder, is this bearing really so important ?
It only works if you pull the clutch, so when the enginepower is "off" ?

A complete clutch is something I will be looking for at some point. Honing such a short blind bore might be a pain to do. Hard turning might be better, but it all adds to the price.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Hi
If I sourced oversize bearings could this hardened surface be skimmed on a lathe ?
Br
Jo’b

With the right tooling.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1