Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Short field stand for the early WD M20

I would be very grateful if someone would post photos of the attachment swivel assembly to the frame for the early (short) field stand. This is the one that attaches directly to a welded-on frame lug below the seat mount. Yes, I know the parts are similar to the clamp-on bracket and swivel, but they are not the same it seems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gordon

email (option): JGLeishman58@gmail.com

Re: Short field stand for the early WD M20

Hi Gordon, do you mean this part?

Rob

Propstandpivot

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Yes, that is one of the parts, maybe. Is this for the short field stand that attaches to the lug or for the clamp-on type? They seem to be different. There is also a spindle with a stepped shaft that fits into this piece, again which seems to be different. I'm looking for photos of the earlier parts not the clamp-on type.

email (option): JGLeishman58@gmail.com

I think its a little more complicated than just the two setups.

The first prop stands on the early KM20s & WM20s? were a clamp on type, then came the lug brazed onto the frame and then finally another clamp on type with the longer stand, I don't know if there was any difference with the first setup or if my plated example is first or second but it certainly differs from the third?

Part of the difference between the brazed on type and later clamp on type is that one is above the frame tube and the other is below, would that give a different arc or not? Or is it just the longer stand which required a shorter arc?

These documents seem to actually give the frame number with the brazed on lug which I hadn't noticed before.
WM20 30907-WM20 42000 and WM20 44213-WM20 44712.

I will try to find my plated "locating sleeve" as I think I remember one of my two types having a part number stamped on it.

Rob

BSA-Pannier-Fitting-instruction-01

BSA-Pannier-Fitting-instruction-02

BSA-Pannier-Fitting-instruction-03

BSA-Pannier-Fitting-instruction-04

Hi Gordon
In addition to the obvious difference in length of the side stand - the head where it is fitted to the knuckle differs also in shape - be it slightly - I suspect to help perhaps with a different throw on the clamp on & the fixed points & the fact the short stand rubs parallel with the road surface

I have some photos of these differences but just now I have a few things going on that preclude me from posting these just for a while
Br
John

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

If we look at Rob's picture above, wich one is the long version and wich one is the short version ?
Is there anyone who can tell ?

The green painted version is the later more common long type knuckle

You can modify this to suit the short stand - that I can see quite easily just by removing some metal
It’s not as easy in reverse - but could still be done
Also bear in mind the shape of the head of the stand is also a different profile
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I agree with Jo'b the plated example is earlier, but how early??

Here are the two different prop stands, again Jo'b is right the profile is different, I have always wondered why there is a spring inside the stand knuckle mechanism but the stand doesn't lock in place to stop it rolling off when the machine is in neutral?

Rob

DSCF3994

DSCF3995

DSCF3997

Nieuwe pagina 1