Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burman CP Gearbox problem

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my Matchless. When you shift from 1st to 2nd, it seems to hop over the gear into Neutral. It takes a little tap up to get it back into 2nd gear. Same thing occurs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. 4th gear seems fine. The thing that puzzles me is this occurs when shifting upwards, downward gear change seems normal. You can get used to it with some training but i would rather have it fixed. We've inspected the gearbox and bushings, and they all seem in good shape. The selector assembly doesn't seem to be worn, but i guess i will try and replace it.
I was wondering if anyone had any similair issues and fixed it?

Thanks,
Niek

email (option): niek.baeckeATtelenet.be

Re: Burman CP Gearbox problem

Did you check the drive gear which is the part that stays in the box when you strip it down and the sprocket attaches to? My Experience is that the bush moves out and makes gear selection very difficult. It is hard to see that the bush has moved without the box on the bench but you can tap the bush back in with the casing still in the bike. JT

maybe check the gear change mechanism, parts could be worn or rusted or even to much grease, the pawl could be worn. its easy to take apart and clean and put together just remember to re time the gears with the change unit, theres two dots you have to line up, if you take the cover of hold the kick start lever up a bit otherwise itl spring back

thanks, barry

Thanks for the replies, i'll have a look.

email (option): niek.baeckeATtelenet.be

Replace the springs and check the square keeper plates are all flat and in place correctly on the gearchange mechanism. There's a thin headed bolt on the outside of the gearchange cover under the lever and on mine that regularly became loose. Tightening it up will improve gearchange positivity. CP gearchange has to be slow and very deliberate!

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Nieuwe pagina 1